As an American who's into food and not located near an area with a high concentration of persons of Scandinavian (in this case, Swedish) descent, I long for the distinctive flavors of that area of the world. For some reason, these delectable, subtly-flavored foods must either be enjoyed at the famous restaurant in New York City, Aquavit, or for those like me on a budget, prepared utilizing authentic recipes at home.

Now, the following recipe is far from authentic. But suffice it to say it gives me my dose of "Swedish" whenever I like and it's a snap to prepare.

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 pound good-quality smoked salmon (if store bought in a plastic-sealed wrapper, give it a quick rinse), the slices diced to 1/4" or so.
     
  • One Vidalia Onion or big, fat, sweet onion, cut into 3/4" dice (this so that they'll remain par-cooked instead of softened)
     
  • A sprinkling of one's favorite wild or domestic mushrooms, sliced thinly
     
  • Butter. Lots of butter. More than the late Julia Child would have endorsed using.
     
  • Six fresh eggs (right from the refrigerator; you don't want them to cook too quickly)
     
  • 1 Tablespoon dried dill weed (not the seeds) or a few tablespoons of fresh-picked, chopped dill

Method:

Take a big round Pyrex or other microwaveable vitreous bowl capable of holding about 2 cups of liquid. It's best to opt for a low, wide "casserole" style dish. There's no need for the cover.

Rub the inside of the bowl with plenty of butter.

Scramble the eggs gently and then add the onions and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper (lots of black pepper). Then place the smoked salmon last, in the center of the dish.. This is because you will microwave this amalgam, and the center of a microwaved dish ("carousel" rotating shelf or not) always cooks more slowly than the outside.

Spread as many chips of butter as you dare about the dish and microwave on full power for about two minutes, depending upon the power of your microwave. The result should reveal a little bit of raw egg along with the fish in the middle.

Add the dill to the bowl and fluff up with a fork.

Microwave again a minute at a time just until just barely cooked. Scoop out and serve with good bread. Serves two.

Variations:

  • Add an additional portion of fresh salmon to the omelette.
     
  • Don't omit the onions, but add the white portion of scallions ("green onions") if you're an onion fiend like me.
     
  • Get creative with the fish; this is the perfect way to utilize last night's doggie bag from the sushi restaurant. Peel the fish off of the rice or your omelette will become mealy.

Recommendations:

Of course, rye bread goes well with this dish, as does a platter of fresh cheeses and fruits. Wine selections I recommend include a relatively dry Viognier or a Gruner Veltliner; however, an inexpensive American Sauvignon Blanc will do fine with this dish.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.