Falcon is the NATO callsign of the F-16 fighter plane.

For more information, follow the F-16 link

compiled overview of the 30ton Falcon 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



A "lost" Star League design, the Falcon was produced in great numbers in the late 26th century. The classic unit is armed with one SunGlow Type 1 Medium Laser, two Omnicron 1000 Light Lasers, and two Reginald Mark VI Machine Guns

The last known manufacturer of the Falcon was at Hesperus during the First Succession War, but ironically the Marik raid that destroyed the area of 'Mech works where the Falcon was produced ("the Falcon wing") came just as the need for new Falcons was becoming most evident. The number of Falcons dropped steadily during the ensuing centuries of warfare, as those still in the field gradually succumbed to the lack of spare parts. The Falcons that remain in Inner Sphere House militaries are almost all extensively refitted, many of them becoming hybrids with arms taken from destroyed Ostscouts or weaponry from other 'Mech designs.

The arrival of Wolf's Dragoons in 3005 marked the first appearance of mint-condition Falcons in the Inner Sphere since the beginning of the Succession Wars. The mercenaries have managed to keep their Falcons in good repair, apparently with their own stockpile of spare parts, but no new Falcons have arrived to replace those lost in battle. Though there are rumors of a new model in Wolf's Dragoons' ranks, it is more likely that Colonel Jaime Wolf's regiments are using recovered technology to upgrade those Falcons already in service.

The most reliable reports indicate that the Dragoons are replacing the old SunGlow Type 1 medium laser with a Magna 400P medium pulse laser, a recovered-technology weapon generally available throughout the Inner Sphere. This model reportedly also replaces both machine guns with a SureFire 444 anti-missile system, another new weapon available over-the-counter to anyone with enough C-bills.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

A member of the super-hero team the Avengers published by Marvel Comics.

Samuel Wilson is the real name of the hero the Falcon. The son of a preacher in Harlem who was killed stopping a street brawl, Sam grew up with his father's concern for people. Sam worked as a social worker until his mother was killed during a mugging. Depressed at his loss, Sam's personality changed. No longer was he concerned with others, but instead became a criminal interested in only himself. Calling himself Snap, Sam was involved in a plane crash on a Caribbean island on his way to Rio de Janeiro. The island was controlled by the Exiles, a group of criminals associated with the Red Skull.

The Red Skull used the Cosmic Cube to suppress the "Snap" personality and bring back Sam knowing that Sam would appeal to Captain America who was trapped on the island. The Skull planned to have Sam earn Captain America's trust and then have him betray him later. The Red Skull additionally used the Cosmic Cube's power to boast Sam's natural ability with birds to give him a telepathic link with his trained hawk Redwing. With Captain America's help, Sam defeated the Exiles and adopted the costumed identity of the Falcon.

The Falcon was only a roof top acrobat at the beginning of his career. With the aid of technology provided by the Black Panther, the Falcon adopted a new costume giving him the ability to fly.

He was appointed as a member of the Avengers for a time, at the behest of the U.S. government. His time as a member of the team was short.

Sam's memories of his time as Snap were brought back during shock therapy at S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. The truth of his past finally came back and he was able to make amends for the errors he made during that period in his life.

A rather different version than described above of Sam Wilson/The Falcon has been portrayed on film and television by American actor Anthony Mackie in the films Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Ant-Man (2015), Captain America: Civil War (2016), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019), and in the Disney+ limited series "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" (2021). These properties are all part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Fal"con (?), n. [OE. faucon, faucoun, OF. faucon, falcon, . faucon, fr. LL. falco, perh. from L. falx, falcis, a sickle or scythe, and named from its curving talons. Cf. Falchion.]

1. Zool. (a)

One of a family (Falconidae) of raptorial birds, characterized by a short, hooked beak, strong claws, and powerful flight.

(b)

Any species of the genus Falco, distinguished by having a toothlike lobe on the upper mandible; especially, one of this genus trained to the pursuit of other birds, or game.

In the language of falconry, the female peregrine (Falco peregrinus) is exclusively called the falcon. Yarrell.

2. Gun.

An ancient form of cannon.

Chanting falcon. Zool. See under Chanting.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.