(1906-1975) King of Saudi Arabia 1964 until his assassination in 1975.

Inside Saudi Arabia, he conducted many economic and educational reforms. He abolished slavery, reorganized the central government, and lead the country into economical stability and prosperity.

He was hard on Israel and supportive of other arab nations, he was relatively liberal and secular for a Saudi King to the point of reputedly being a fan of the Grateful Dead who wrote the song Blues for Allah in his honor.

=======================
1906: Born in Riyadh as the fourth son of Ibn Saud and Tarfa bint Abdullah al-Shaykh.

1926: Becomes governor of Hijaz, after this region had been conquered by his father in 1924, and become part of the kingdom in 1926.

1934: Performs an official visit to Soviet Union, on behalf of Saudi Arabia. Fights a war against North Yemen.

1945: Represents Saudi Arabia at the United Nations founding Conference.

1953: When his elder brother Sa'ud becomes king, Faisal becomes crown prince and foreign minister of Saudi Arabia.

1958: Faisal gets full executive powers, following an economical crisis of Saudi Arabia.

1960: Faisal gives up his powers, after pressure from his brother, the king.

1962: Once again, Faisal is given full executive powers in Saudi Arabia.

1964: March: Faisal becomes viceroy.
November: Faisal is appointed king, after the deposition of his brother.

1967 June: At Faisal's initiative, Saudi troops participates in the Six-Day War.

1973: He starts a program intended to increase the military power of Saudi Arabia.

1975 March 25: He is shot dead by his nephew Prince Faisal bin Musad.


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.