Basically, a really low-lying cloud. Fog often rises on humid mornings, obscuring roads and making it more dangerous to drive -- and much more dangerous to fly.

In fiction, fog can also lend an air of mystery to a scene, which makes it a popular element in horror movies and detective stories.

A type of node in VR technologies that progressively obscures visibility with increasing distance (not unlike real fog) which is handy since most VR platforms are struggling to keep up with all the objects on view.

A song by British rock group Radiohead, first played live on July 9, 2000 in Caesaria, Israel under the title Alligators in New York Sewers, and later recorded in the studio and released as a B-side on the Knives Out UK CD2 single under its current name.

Whereas the original live version consisted of Thom Yorke singing and playing piano solo, the studio version begins with electronic chimes and noise, and bass guitar accompanying Thom's vocals. Tambourine, electronically-processed guitar, and drum kit enter the mix half of the way through the song.

There's a little child
Running round this house
And he never leaves
He will never leave
And the fog comes up from the sewers
And glows in the dark

Baby alligators in the sewers grow up fast
Grow up fast
Anything you want it can be done
How did you go bad?
Did you go bad?
Did you go bad?
Somethings will never wash away
Did you go bad?
Did you go bad?

Fog (fog), n. [Cf. Scot. fog, fouge, moss, foggage rank grass, LL. fogagium, W. ffwg dry grass.] (Agric.)

(a)

A second growth of grass; aftergrass.

(b)

Dead or decaying grass remaining on land through the winter; -- called also foggage. [Prov.Eng.] Halliwell. Sometimes called, in New England, old tore. In Scotland, fog is a general name for moss.

 

© Webster 1913


Fog v. t. (Agric.)

To pasture cattle on the fog, or aftergrass, of; to eat off the fog from.

 

© Webster 1913


Fog v. i. [Etymol. uncertain.]

To practice in a small or mean way; to pettifog. [Obs.]

Where wouldst thou fog to get a fee?
Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913


Fog n. [Dan. sneefog snow falling thick, drift of snow, driving snow, cf. Icel. fok spray, snowdrift, fjUk snowstorm, fjUka to drift.]

1.

Watery vapor condensed in the lower part of the atmosphere and disturbing its transparency. It differs from cloud only in being near the ground, and from mist in not approaching so nearly to fine rain. See Cloud.

2.

A state of mental confusion.

Fog alarm, Fog bell, Fog horn, etc., a bell, horn, whistle or other contrivance that sounds an alarm, often automatically, near places of danger where visible signals would be hidden in thick weather. - - Fog bank, a mass of fog resting upon the sea, and resembling distant land. --
Fog ring, a bank of fog arranged in a circular form, -- often seen on the coast of Newfoundland.

 

© Webster 1913


Fog (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fogged (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Fogging (#).]

To envelop, as with fog; to befog; to overcast; to darken; to obscure.

 

© Webster 1913


Fog (?), v. i. (Photog.)

To show indistinctly or become indistinct, as the picture on a negative sometimes does in the process of development.

 

© Webster 1913


Fog (?), n. (Photog.)

Cloudiness or partial opacity of those parts of a developed film or a photograph which should be clear.

 

© Webster 1913


Fog, v. t. (Photog.)

To render semiopaque or cloudy, as a negative film, by exposure to stray light, too long an exposure to the developer, etc.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.