These are fast and easy to make. They're fun to give as gifts, and VERY inexpensive. They're one of those last minute gifts that can be made with stuff from home and mean a lot because they're handmade.
HERBAL AROMATHERAPY EYE PILLOWS
1. Cut any type of cloth into 7x7 inch squares. Old silk shirts are great for this, or worn out and outgrown clothes.
2. Measure 2/3 cup rice (not instant) into a bowl and add 5-10 drops of essential oil
to it. Stir and let set for an hour, so the oil will soak into the rice. Dried flowers
can be added as well. I like to use lavender
flowers, but be aware that some people are allergic to lavender.
3. Fold the fabric in half, with the bright side down. Sew along the long side and one end to form a pouch. Using a sewing machine is easier, but if you are sewing by hand, make sure your stiches are small so the rice and/or flowers don't leak out.
4. Turn the pouch right side out and fold the open edge in on itself about 1/2 inch. Iron it so it holds the crease.
5. Fill the pouch with the rice/herb mixture.
6. Sew the open edge shut.
7. Print a nice instruction sheet, and either package the pillow in a zip-lock baggie to retain the scent longer, or wrap it in tissue paper. The instruction sheet could say something like: "Relaxing Eye Pillow with Lavender:
Lie down, place pillow over closed eyes, and relax. Eye pillow may be chilled in the freezer for use over the eyes or forehead to help ease a headache or hangover. If fragrance fades, revive with a few drops of essential oil along seam.