To banish from a political unit due to a serious crime. Most often this happens to rebelious political or religious leaders who if killed would provide their cause with a martyr.
Also the period of time during which someone is exiled.
"exile n. 1. Enforced removal from one's native country. 2. The state or circumstance of being in Exile." Above ground, there is only one nation: The Empire. That's all it's called. What need is there for fancy name when there's really only one game in town? The Empire maintains order at all costs. Misfits, magical creatures, and petty criminal of all sorts are unwanted, and the Empire has one tried and true way of disposing of them... They are sent through a one-way teleporter into the Underworld. And, alas, you have had the bad luck to be considered misfits.

Thus begins Spiderweb Software's enormous role-playing epic Exile: Escape from the Pit. Exile is a huge RPG (role-playing game) similar to the early Ultima games in appearance, but with mouse control of inventory and spell targeting.

Exile has spawned three sequels. In Exile II: Crystal Souls, the Empire make an invasion of the caves and the Exiles must seek a long-dormant, powerful race known as the Vahnatai to aid them. In Exile III: Ruined World, the community of Exiles finally reach the surface in an attempt to claim a section of land for themselves. Finally, Blades Of Exile is a scenario-based engine for Exile games and has quite a heavy following of scenarios (including the author's 'New Life'), although quality does tend to vary quite heavily.

See also:

http://www.spidweb.com
Blades of exile community
Exile: Escape from the pit
Jeff Vogel

Exile is a loosely-defined concept album created, written and performed by Gary Numan. It was released in 1998 by Eagle Records in the UK and Cleopatra Records in the US.

The concept

"From the beginning, I knew the album was going to be about one thing, a horror story that looked at God and our possible misinterpretations of the Bible, and so the atmosphere in many ways fed itself."
               - Gary Numan, interview with Jorge C. Galban*

The concept of the story operates under the premise that God and the Devil are, in effect, the same. The God of the Bible that the Christian religion hold so dear is, really, a malevolent, jealous and vengeful bastard, who inspires as much death and chaos as goodwill and love.

"Exile to me is one big horror story. Personally, I don't believe in God at all, but if I'm wrong and there is a God, what kind of god would it be who would give us the world we live in? It certainly cannot be a good deity. At best God would have to be cruel, selfish, and he would have to have a huge ego."
               - Gary Numan, interview in Portland**

This dark view is personified through the nine songs on the Exile album, each of them examining Scripture and works of God through decidedly nasty perspectives. In "Dead Heaven", an alternative to the miraculous 'virgin birth' is given when Virgin Mary is raped by the Three Wise Men. "The Angel Wars" graphically depicts the violence and atrocities that the blindly devoutful will stoop to in order to defend their faith.

There is no traditional story in the album, however. Originally, the story was to revolve around a man who discovered the truth of God and existence. God would then send this man through countless terrible sufferings to try and silence him. "The theme was meant to continue, and I regret that I didn't," says Numan in the Portland interview. Instead, " (...) all nine songs on the album are saying the same thing."

In summary, God is evil. He makes people suffer. Then he lies about it afterwards.

Behind the album

Numan's previous album, Sacrifice (inexplicably named Doom in the US) was considered by many to be a "return to form". Instead of trying hard to gain commercial success with consciously writing songs in hopes of attaining radio success, he switched gears and began writing songs simply for himself. The result was a much darker, more ambient soundscape, which also contained some pretty pointed lyrical barbs at his favorite pet peeves - this included Christianity.

Numan's Christian fans, who apparently forgot that Numan's been bashing God since his early 80's days, were outraged. A former Numan fansite, www.remindmetosmile.com, was altered completely to become "a beacon of light in the dark world of Gary Numan".

"This sort of reaction always amazes me. Here you have people that genuinely believe that God created this entire bloody universe in just six days, without anybody's help, and yet they seem to think that He needs their help to deal with little me. If God was bothered about me, He would deal with me."
               - Gary Numan, interview with Jorge C. Galban

Gary reaction was, as is evident, one of bewilderment. A devout atheist, he has repeatedly made references to hollow faith, evil deities and religious zealots. He decided to explore the spiritual side of his music more and, in doing so, create a musical reinterpretation of the Bible. Instead of highlighting the glorious aspects of Creation, he chose to emphasize the darkness and violence of the Bible - passages and scriptures often "forgotten" and concealed by the Righteous - as well as explain the more "magical" passages (ie. virgin birth, resurrection, etc.) through creative rethinking.

It seems, though he hasn't said this outright, that if Christians were going to get upset about his personal beliefs, then he would make an album that would really get them wired up and once and for all leave him alone.

"Because of the amount of anti-Sacrifice feedback, I sat down and began to think about a possible middle-ground point of view that would answer my questions about their belief in something all powerful and my questions as to how something so supposedly kind and loving could create a world so full of violence and pain. The middle-ground idea that I came up with that answered their faith and my questions was Exile."
               
- Gary Numan, interview with Jorge C. Galban

The album itself

The album consists of 9 songs, each darkly textured with deep resonant synth strings, piano interludes and the occasional distortion guitar. Each song starts with an electronic breakbeat that continues throughout the song, keeping the rhythm steady as the mood of the song changes. Numan has said that there are over 30 beats running through the album, often dubbed over each other.

"I started every song on Exile with drum loops. I built up the groove first because I wanted every song, whatever mood it might have, to be relentless rhythmically. The texturing came next, creating the mood of the songs and then the lyrics to compliment that mood."
               - Gary Numan, interview with Jorge C. Galban

Whereas his later album, Pure, absolutely drips with aggression and power, Exile is more brooding and menacing. Gary's vocals don't drown in the mix; they soar above it with tons of echo and reverb. The guitar, although heavy, is subdued, and often times you have to turn up the sound to even hear the synth. Only the relentless beat seems to go on forever.

The track list

  1. Dominion Day
  2. Prophecy
  3. Dead Heaven
  4. Dark
  5. Innocence Bleeding
  6. The Angel Wars
  7. Absolution
  8. An Alien Cure
  9. Exile

An extended version was also released, which puts nearly every song on the album over the 7 minute mark. The total running time of this version is well over an hour, and is heartily recommended.


* Interview found at http://www.geocities.com/chaoticcrit/numan.html.
** Interview found at http://www.sonic-boom.com/interview/gary.numan.interview.html.

Ex"ile (?), n. [OE. exil, fr. L. exilium, exsilium, fr. exsuil one who quits, or is banished from, his native soil; ex out + solum ground, land, soil, or perh. fr.the root of salire to leap, spring; cf. F. exil. Cf. Sole of the foot, Saltation.]

1.

Forced separation from one's native country; expulsion from one's home by the civil authority; banishment; sometimes, voluntary separation from one's native country.

Let them be recalled from their exile. Shak.

2.

The person expelled from his country by authority; also, one who separates himself from his home.

Thou art in exile, and thou must not stay. Shak.

Syn. -- Banishment; proscription; expulsion.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ex"ile (?) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Exiled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Exiling.]

To banish or expel from one's own country or home; to drive away.

"Exiled from eternal God."

Tennyson.

Calling home our exiled friends abroad. Shak.

Syn. -- See Banish.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ex*ile" (?), a. [L. exilis.]

Small; slender; thin; fine.

[Obs.] "An exile sound."

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.