Liz Phair's debut album - and her best so far, in my opinion...

Completely disjointed and at times disharmonic - her breathless and stilted lyrical style nonetheless works better than you could ever believe.

Honesty has often been attributed as a major factor in the power and success of her work, but I'm not quite certain where her fans get this idea. She certainly writes and sings with an incredible amount of authority, but when interviewed in Rolling Stone following the release of Exile in Guyville about the content of her work (particularly Divorce Song and Fuck and Run - two seemingly autobiographical songs) her response was, "Uhm, no - I made all that up. I was never really that girl, but it sounds good, doesn't it?"

And it certainly does. The question of honesty vs. authority seems to come up frequently in the things that really matter to me. When the question concerns art and not my personal life - I'm far more interested in authority than reality. Liz Phair speaks to you regardless of her own life experiences.

Track List:

  1. 6'1"
  2. Help Me Mary
  3. Glory
  4. Dance Of The Seven Veils
  5. Never Said
  6. Soap Star Joe
  7. Explain It To Me
  8. Canary
  9. Mesmerizing
  10. Fuck And Run
  11. Girls! Girls! Girls!
  12. Divorce Song
  13. Shatter
  14. Flower
  15. Johnny Sunshine
  16. Gunshy
  17. Stratford-On-Guy
  18. Strange Loop

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.