1. What is your name?

gnarl, but that's only because snarl was taken. Even my wife calls me snarl IRL!

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

Would-be writer, once a zinester, lived in the states until aged 30, and now live in Edinburgh, Scotland, where i have no idea what I'm doing.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

A note by, i think, toasterleavings on Downmoo pointed to something he wrote. Within a few clicks, I signed up.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

Of my early stuff, elephant graveyard. Lately, I'm pretty happy with Cloud Nine.

Other noders? oh my.

to make me grin: pukesick and stand/alone/bitch's entries for walking with closed eyes. That's it, right there.

to make me laugh: Webby's dogsick. donfreenut's Old skool bacardi party.

about half my ed endorsements and half my Chings! are still my favourite.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

I've got loads and loads of favourite nodermeet and noders in person memories, ranging from the hall of infinite cock to a certain handfasting. Within E2's history: the flow and flux and frenetic mayhem of when people just piled writeups in. Discovering the nodeshell game. The silliness of britnoders trying to caption pictures for a bbc site. Many many hidden gems stumbled upon. The time a guy on April Fools day posted a writeup backwards, worried the site might have been hacked. Every single writer who keeps at it and develops a style, voice and wealth of words shared.

Least favourite: I had this whole thing written about being bullshitted and apathy and la de da and then I thought, 'fuck it, it was all storm in a teacup. Sugar?'

6. What keeps you coming back?

The hope of finding something good to read, and the joy of almost always finding it.

The reminder to write.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

Either frozen for forever, or taken to the next level: where we are able to share good writing in a tumbler-like publishing format (Categories are a step in this direction). Where many of us tackle a subject or theme and write it so it inspires others to start writing, too, spinning off whirlwinds of new material.

I'd hope that there continues to be people finding the site and somehow getting the encouragement to share how they see, what they know, and what they imagine with it. I really believe this site was and can be a great utility for emerging writers.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

Originally, a new community. E2 first reminded me of the Retro Issues of Ben Is Dead, and I felt like I had 'found my people' with this site. Now, it's a homebase 'on the net', a place I stop for a cuppa and read a few things before moving on.

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

Far far far too many of both.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

amnesiac, stunt double being donginger

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

the Library of Alexandria

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

Which nodetype are you?

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact gnarl or Jet-Poop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.