1. What is your name?

Phil

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

I’m a 40-something, this tall (gestures), this wide (more gestures), British guy from Liverpool. I’ve been hitting my head against Dark Souls 2 lately.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

Henry made me do it. He was into it, and got me into it, and then he wasn’t into it any more. But I still was.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

I like "Brut" and "Phone in if you know the answer." From others – I like a great deal of what I read, to be honest.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

I went to a noder-meet – the Bristol International One. It happened at a really bad moment and made things remarkably better because it proved that there are some spectacularly great people out there. That’s a favourite.

I never understood the whole "Butterfinger McFlurry" thing, not least because they don’t happen in the UK, but mainly because I felt like I’d missed a joke. Maybe there was no joke. Maybe that was the joke. It still bothers me.

I guess that "Astrophil and Stella" was a bad idea. But it’s here now. And it took ages. "Raising the Bar" was kind of weird, too.

6. What keeps you coming back (or not coming back, as the case may be)?

I really like writing, and I met some great people here. I just don’t have a great deal of faith in my writing any more.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

The principle behind E2 is marvelous, and I’ve lost serious hours here. I hope that it continues being what it is, I think, and doesn’t try too hard to raise the bar – without, at the same time, lowering it. Where else is creativity, information, personal take and style valued.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

Everything is a review by people I sort of trust, of modern life and what people think of it.

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

I met Booyaa, Princess Loulou, Trustthedoctor, Wertperch and Conquest, and they were just splendid. I’m not sure that they know how much they picked me up off the floor that night.

Templeton's writing was, probably, the reason I stayed after the initial buzz wore off.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Danny Wallace. If I had hair, I’d look like him. If I was thinner.

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

A very large, slightly dodgy wedding buffet.

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

That one. But you saw to it.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact banjax or Jet-Poop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.