1. What is your name?

Segnbora-t, unless you meant Suzanne M. Saunders.

2. What is your quest?

We seek the Holy Grail.

3. What is your favorite color?

Purple. 8)

4. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

My then (and still) boyfriend Jon pointed me to everything.slashdot.org where he was already a user as tregoweth. Indeed, my username is Segnbora-t because he'd created a writeup about me with the title Segnbora before I created a user account. I think -- and this was a long time ago -- that the first writeup I created was Ringo Starr (updated a lot since that first less-than-256-character version) because I was annoyed that the other three members of the Beatles had writeups and Ringo didn't. It didn't seem fair.

I made a couple of hundred writeups on that first version of Everything before Everything2.com was opened up and nodes from the old version copied over. Some of those even still exist, but probably more were superseded and now reside in Node Heaven.

5. What do you see as the most significant changes that have happened to Everything over the past decade?

Well, the transition from E1 is certainly the most significant -- there's a very different feel when one is limited to two writeups of 256 characters each under a node title. The existence of the Chatterbox certainly helped us see each other as people (well, I suppose at the time of E1 the IRC channel may have still had some relationship to the site, but I hadn't discovered it yet). I suppose the various node for the ages/raising the bar/encouraging higher-quality writing things have had influence, but none of them ever seemed terribly clear in what they were trying to achieve, so it's hard to say what change other than "a one-paragraph writeup will not get many upvotes" was accomplished by them.

6. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

Completely depends on mood. The first to come to mind were Monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey, William Shatner and How to assassinate a third world despot with only a butt plug and a litre of raspberry coulis, but I really do like factuals too. I don't think I have a short list of favorites of my own writeups.

7. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

Least favorite memories would pretty much be any kind of conflict on the site; I hate when people I liked felt fed up enough to leave (or had their accounts locked). Favorite -- making the Everything's Best Noders list; topping said list; getting paper mail from noders; having noders friend me on LiveJournal and later other sites. And then there's:

8. What keeps you coming back?

I like it. I like randomly surfing through titles that look like they might be interesting. I like being able to softlink related concepts. I like being able to write up things that interest me. I like the validation of upvotes and C!s on those writeups. I like having a chatterbox (and mailing list, and gatherings, and connections with people from E2 on other websites) with people who share some of those interests).

9. What do you hope for E2's future?

That it doesn't die.

10. What does E2 mean to you?

It's a great site that has kept me coming back, in its various ever-evolving forms, for more than a decade. That I felt worth raising funds for, when the site accepted donations. And it is the fount of Internet friendship for me, since as I said above, I connect with people I know or knew here on many other sites.

11. Is E2 a writing site, a community site, an online encyclopedia, or something else? What should it be?

All of the above.

12. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

Umm. Pretty much anyone whose username I recognize is probably a favorite. pingouin was the first to come to mind for someone I miss, despite one of my earliest (E1 era) memories being a fight with him over the first version of my living together instead of marriage writeup (he didn't like that I referred to God as "nonexistent" in that version)

13. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Tina Fey, I suggest optimistically.

14. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

I can't think of any.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact Segnbora-t or Jet-Poop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.