An EVA is an extravehicular activity or spacewalk in NASA lingo. The first ten-minute EVA was performed by Soviet cosmonaut Alexei Leonov on 18 March 1965 when he ventured outside his Voskhod spacecraft on a tether. American astronauts developed EVA techniques in the Gemini program soon after. Walking on the Moon required yet another set of EVA techniques and equipment.

Skylab, the first American space station, got off to a bad start when a large solar panel failed to deploy. The first crew fixed it with a series of EVAs and saved the mission.

Shuttle astronauts commonly perform EVAs to work on equipment in the Shuttle payload bay. Sometimes they even venture away from the Shuttle without a tether, using the MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit) rocket chair to approach satellites.

Many long EVAs will be required to assemble the new International Space Station over the next few years.

Eva Gouel, a.k.a. Marcelle Humbert, was Picasso's lover after his relationship with Fernande Olivier and before Olga Kokhlova, during the years 1911-1915. It is said that Picasso gave her the name "Eva" to signify that she was the first he loved (Eva = Eve). She tragically died in 1915, due either to tuberculosis or cancer.

There are not many photographics of Eva nor many portraits Picasso painted of her. This was during the time of his analytic cubist phase, and the most famous painting dedicated to Eva was called "Ma Jolie", a cubist composition.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.