Everything Guitar Project : The Everything Guide to Guitar Chords : Esus4
The Tab

-0-
-0-
-2-
-2-
-2-
-0-

or

-9-
-10-
-9-
-9-
-7-
-7-?

The Notes

An E, an F# and a B are the essential notes in this lot. Looks like there's an A in the above, too - far out.

What I Reckon

I have to say, I don't use this chord a lot.

That said, there is a lovely one in Exit Music (for a film) by Radiohead, just coming in to the second verse. Thom comes out of the dreamy 'Breathe ... keep breathing' bit, and then everything gets sad again as he sings 'Can't do this alone' over the Am variations that are the core of the song.

Then, it's the Esus4 - uplifting!, optimistic! and brave! - which has the feel, for me, of Romeo and Juliet waking up together that morning in Juliet's room.

But then that chord is flattened down into a normal old E major. It's not like the E is a sad chord, it's just ... ordinary. It's a real reality check, foreshadowing Romeo's banishment later that day. From there on in, the song gets sad+wistful ('Sing us a song ...'), and then more and more bitter and angry until the end (We hope that you choke ...).

Now, I use a Dsus4 the whole damn time - but I never got anything like that out of it, that's for sure.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.