Hall of Fame football (American) player, who holds the single-season rushing record.

Dickerson (DOB: 9/2/1960; Sealy, Texas) was taken 2nd overall by the Los Angeles Rams in the 1983 NFL draft, after an All-American college career at SMU.

His rookie season (1983) was tremendous, as Dickerson set NFL rookie records with 390 attempts, 1808 yards, and 18 rushing touchdowns. All 3 records have not been broken. He was named Rookie of the Year, of course.

1984 was even better, as Dickerson rushed for an NFL record 2105 yards (breaking O.J. Simpson's mark of 2003 yards set in 1973). He ran for 100 yards 12 times that season (a record that was later broken by Barry Sanders).

After a few more productive seasons with the Rams, Dickerson was traded to the Indianapolis Colts in 1987. The next season, he ran for 1659 yards, leading the league for a 4th time (3 of which were with the Rams).

However, Dickerson's best years were behind him. He played for the Colts from 1987-1991, then for the Los Angeles Raiders in 1992, before finishing his career with the Atlanta Falcons in 1993.

Dickerson was an All-Pro 5 times and played in 6 Pro Bowls. In his career, he ran 2996 times for 13259 yards (the yardage was 2nd all-time, behind only Walter Payton, at the time of his retirement). Dickerson scored 90 rushing touchdowns, 6 receiving touchdowns, and even threw for a touchdown.

In 1999, Dickerson was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Since 2000, Dickerson has been a sideline reporter for ABC's Monday Night Football.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.