Episode 2: Election Blu-Galoo is the second (of 13) episode of the popular animated television series Clone High. The episode sees Abe and JFK go head-to-head at the student elections. All sorts of madcap hijinx ensue.

Plot summary (spoilers)

Cleo is, in her last act as outgoing student body present, dedicating a piranha-filled moat that separates the special education students from the rest of the school population. Upon using her oversized novelty scissors for the last time (unless — sob — a giant needs a haircut), she becomes extremely emotional and runs into the school. She is followed by JFK, who wants to comfort her. Inbetween sobs, Cleo explains that she cannot seek re-election due to rules regarding term limits. Her only hope is if someone — and she has no idea who — would run, abolish term limits, resign and endorse her as his replacement. But who? Who? JFK utters half a syllable and Cleo interprets this as a willingness to run for her. Abe shows up in the school just then, also intending to comfort Cleo, but is saddened to find her making out with JFK.

JFK announces his candidacy for student body president, which upsets Joan. Joan understands that JFK is just Cleo's puppet and that he won't really do much for students. She encourages Abe to run, saying that together they can fight for things that really matter. New bishops for the chess club, for instance. Abe hesitates, wondering what fears and insecurities could be holding him back. He then realizes that Cleo likes JFK because he's a natural leader, and decides that if he runs, perhaps Cleo will like him instead. He's also completely clueless about Joan being in love with him.

Principal Scudworth decides to find a corporate sponsor for Clone High after learning that the Secret Board of Shadowy Figures is sponsored by Puma. He plans to use the money to fund his secret plan, a clone amusement park called Cloney Island. He saw the first two-thirds of the MC Hammer Behind the Music and if there's one thing he learned about money, it's that it never runs out. Meanwhile, at Gandhi's urging, Abe becomes involved with the corporation that Scudworth has brought into the school. Xtreme Blu is a snack product secretly made from pancake batter and blue house paint.

Boosted by corporate sponsorship, Abe finds himself ahead in the polls. Joan is frustrated at her candidate having sold out, but Cleo is enthusiastic about Abe because he appears to be the projected winner and could therefore help her return to office. Joan switches sides and offers to manage JFK's campaign. JFK misinterprets this as a euphemism, earning him a smack upside the head.

Joan and JFK produce an attack ad about Abe and air it on Clone High's closed circuit TV station. The ad questions Abe's honesty (he'd claimed to be 15 the year before, but now claims to be 16. Which is it, Abe? Better keep your story straight), and points out that he's never gone on record saying he doesn't eat babies. Abe is confused as to how JFK acquired a seemingly damning video of him eating spaghetti, and is stunned when the ad closes with a shoutout to Joan for her help.

The election comes to a head at the debate, moderated by guest judge Marilyn Manson (as himself), Mena Suvari (not as herself) and some other dude. JFK doesn't really have a platform, while Abe's platform is all about Xtreme Blu, which has made Gandhi rather large and, well, blue. In order to gain his fellow students' respect, Abe prepares to attempt the most badass political stunt since Dukakis jumped the Snake River Canyon. He plans to navigate a rather scary course with a skateboard that is attached to his head. While Gandhi prepares to light the fuse attached to the rocket attached to the skateboard (seriously), he passes out.

Fortunately, Marilyn Manson is on the scene, and offers his diagnosis as a rock star and a licensed doctor that Gandhi is suffering from malnutrition. Abe examines the label on the Xtreme Blu package and tells the student body what the ingredients are. This initially makes him unpopular, and costs Scudworth his corporate deal, but Joan takes the stage and encourages the students to vote for Abe because he told the truth, even though it made him look like a jackass. The students applaud wildly, garnering Abe the highest rating on the applause-o-meter, the official voting method of Clone High.

Just when it looks as though Abe is about to become Clone High's next student body president, a puppy walks onto the stage and proceeds to lick Gandhi ("and he's licking that dead Smurf's face!"). This is, apparently, adorable, and the dog earns even more applause than Abe and becomes student body president. Cleo immediately begins sucking up to it. Hey, new president. That's a cute collar.

There is, however, one thing Gandhi doesn't understand. He asks Marilyn Manson how young people can avoid being malnourished. This, as you might expect, turns into an elaborate musical number about the food pyramid. It is awesome.

Historical references

As is the case with all other Clone High episodes, there are a number of historical inside jokes here. First, the entire storyline revolves around what it would be like if clones of two of the most well known presidents in U.S. history went head-to-head. It's also worth noting that Lincoln and Kennedy are often compared to one another, particularly given the nature of each of their assassinations.

The local hangout is called The Grassy Knoll. While Abe is first discussing running for student body president, he is in a Grassy Knoll booth with Joan and Gandhi. As he asks which fears and insecurities are holding him back, an extremely graphic framed picture of Abraham Lincoln's assassination is on the wall beside him.

JFK's election speech also includes the line "Ask not what your student body president can do for you; ask what you can do to your student body president's body!" Classy. One for the ages.

The episode's title also refers to Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, which may or may not have been parodied elsewhere.


Resources:
http://www.clone-high.com/episodes.htm
"Episode 2: Election Blu-Galoo." Clone High: The Complete First Season. DVD. Owned by me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.