En*large" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Enlarged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Enlarging (?).] [OF. enlargier; pref. en- (L. in) + F. large wide. See Large.]

1.

To make larger; to increase in quantity or dimensions; to extend in limits; to magnify; as, the body is enlarged by nutrition; to enlarge one's house.

To enlarge their possessions of land. Locke.

2.

To increase the capacity of; to expand; to give free scope or greater scope to; also, to dilate, as with joy, affection, and the like; as, knowledge enlarges the mind.

O ye Corinthians, our . . . heart is enlarged. 2 Cor. vi. 11.

3.

To set at large or set free.

[Archaic]

It will enlarge us from all restraints. Barrow.

Enlarging hammer, a hammer with a slightly rounded face of large diameter; -- used by gold beaters. Knight. -- To enlarge an order ∨ rule Law, to extend the time for complying with it. Abbott. -- To enlarge one's self, to give free vent to speech; to spread out discourse. "They enlarged themselves on this subject." Clarendon. -- To enlarge the heart, to make free, liberal, and charitable.

Syn. -- To increase; extend; expand; spread; amplify; augment; magnify. See Increase.

 

© Webster 1913.


En*large", v. i.

1.

To grow large or larger; to be further extended; to expand; as, a plant enlarges by growth; an estate enlarges by good management; a volume of air enlarges by rarefaction.

2.

To speak or write at length; to be diffuse in speaking or writing; to expatiate; to dilate.

To enlarge upon this theme. M. Arnold.

3. Naut.

To get more astern or parallel with the vessel's course; to draw aft; -- said of the wind.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.