A landmark U.S. Supreme Court case from 1962.

The court ruled that it was unconstitutional for government officials to lead public school students in prayer. This included all school officials, such as teachers, principals, or even janitors.

A favorite case for the flying monkey right and other religious conservatives to blame for the trouble in this country, while the conviently ignore all the other changes that have happened. After all, only good things can come from shoving your religion down the throats of others, right? (See Ireland, burning times, The Spanish Inquisition)

Engel v. Vitale

370 US 421 (1962)

In 1962 supervisors of the New York Public School system, The State Board of Regents became concerned about an apparent decline in the morality of school students and so began a program of "moral and spiritual training" in the schools. Part of the program included a prayer every morning which the Regents themselves had composed in a nondemoninational form. Labeled the "To whom it may concern" prayer it stated:

Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon Thee, and we beg Thy blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers and our Country.

The ACLU and a group of ten parents joined together in a suit --Engel v. Vitale 370 US 421 (1962), against the Board of Education of New Hyde Park, New York because they had adopted that prayer. Amicus curiae briefs were filed by the American Ethical Union, the American Jewish Committee and the Synagogue Council of America. Both the state court and the New York Court of Appeals allowed the prayer to be recited.

This landmark case in educational law got the ball rolling on the separation of church and state in the latter half of the 20th century.

Sources:

Corkill, Phillip. The Law and American Education. Tucson, Arizona. 1991 (Lecture presented at the Flowing Wells School District Administrative Office).

DOC BodyPage:
www2.law.cornell.edu/.../doc/%7Bt32960%7D/ hit_headings/words=4/pageitems=%7Bbody%7D


Important Landmark Cases in Educational Law

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.