En*am"el (?), n. [Pref. en- + amel. See Amel, Smelt, v. t.]

1.

A variety of glass, used in ornament, to cover a surface, as of metal or pottery, and admitting of after decoration in color, or used itself for inlaying or application in varied colors.

2. (Min.)

A glassy, opaque bead obtained by the blowpipe.

3.

That which is enameled; also, any smooth, glossy surface, resembling enamel, especially if variegated.

4. (Anat.)

The intensely hard calcified tissue entering into the composition of teeth. It merely covers the exposed parts of the teeth of man, but in many animals is intermixed in various ways with the dentine and cement.

Enamel painting, painting with enamel colors upon a ground of metal, porcelain, or the like, the colors being afterwards fixed by fire. --
Enamel paper, paper glazed a metallic coating.

 

© Webster 1913


En*am"el, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Enameled (?) or Enamelled; p. pr. & vb. n. Enameling or Enamelling.]

1.

To lay enamel upon; to decorate with enamel whether inlaid or painted.

2.

To variegate with colors as if with enamel.

Oft he [the serpent]bowed
His turret crest and sleek enameled neck.
Milton.

3.

To form a glossy surface like enamel upon; as, to enamel card paper; to enamel leather or cloth.

4.

To disguise with cosmetics, as a woman's complexion.

 

© Webster 1913


En*am"el (?), v. i.

To practice the art of enameling.

 

© Webster 1913


En*am"el, a.

Relating to the art of enameling; as, enamel painting. Tomlinson.

 

© Webster 1913


En*am"el, n.

1.

Any one of various preparations for giving a smooth, glossy surface like that of enamel.

2.

A cosmetic intended to give the appearance of a smooth and beautiful complexion.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.