The ElectroLuminescent Display is built on the same principle as electroluminescent backlight panels. To build an ELD you start with a substrate of plastic or glass. On this substrate you make thin parallel transparent electrodes(this can be made from indium tin oxide). Then commes a layer of phosphor. By using different phosphor compounds we can select the colour of this display. To make a multicolour display, we use phosphor with a red glow on one line, green on the next, then blue and so on. Over this a plastic layer with another set of electrodes is put. These electrodes are turned 90 degrees in relation to the one on the substrate. This makes a simple coloumn/row grid where any phosphor point can be selected. The whole assembly is then connected to proper driver electronics.

The ELD can operate in a wide temperature range and has low power consumption. Since ELDs are completely solid-state they have a good reliability. The Active Matrix ELD is a further development of this technology.

Eld (?), a. [AS. eald.]

Old.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Eld, n. [AS. yldu, yldo, eldo, old age, fr. ald, eald, old. See Old.]

1.

Age; esp., old age.

[Obs. or Archaic]

As sooth is said, eelde hath great avantage. Chaucer.

Great Nature, ever young, yet full of eld. Spenser.

2.

Old times; former days; antiquity.

[Poetic]

Astrologers and men of eld. Longfellow.

 

© Webster 1913.


Eld, v. i.

To age; to grow old.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Eld, v. t.

To make old or ancient.

[Obs.]

Time, that eldeth all things. Rom. of R.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.