Comic book character owned and published by Marvel Comics. He is the butler of both Tony "Iron Man" Stark and for the Avengers themselves. He was created by Stan Lee and Don Heck and made his debut appearance in November 1964's Tales of Suspense #59. 

Jarvis served in the RAF during WWII (this would make him almost 100 years old -- but Marvel's continuity has gotten looser and looser in recent decades). He moved to the United States, where he was the butler for Howard Stark, Tony's father. At the first meeting of the Avengers, Iron Man donated the Stark family mansion as the team's headquarters, with Jarvis as the manservant and house manager for all team members. Jarvis took on his new duties with stereotypically British aplomb -- this must've still been quite a trial, considering he went from serving Tony Stark cocktails to having to rustle up mutton and mead every time Thor got peckish, along with having to worry about repairing the facilities whenever Giant-Man got boisterous with his Pym particles

Jarvis has been with the Avengers for nearly all the team's existence, much longer than any other character. He's considered a father figure to a number of Avengers. Captain America considers him a full member, despite his non-combat role -- in fact, the Living Legend of World War II has provided him personal combat training. (Everyone in the Marvel Universe has received personal combat training from Captain America. Everyone.) 

Butlering should be a pretty low-pressure job, but butlering for the Avengers means the bad guys sometimes break into the mansion and attack you, which has happened a few times to Jarvis. The best known of these happened when the Masters of Evil broke in, then made Cap watch while Mr. Hyde beat the stuffings out of Jarvis. He was actually in the hospital for quite a while recovering from this, but eventually made his return. He's also made occasional departures from his duties at the mansion to help take care of his elderly mother, and once quit altogether (though briefly) when Tony Stark's alcoholism was at its worst. And during the "Secret Invasion" storyline, it was revealed that Jarvis had been replaced for a number of months by a shapeshifting Skrull imposter, but I'm not sure how much of that crossover is still considered canon. 

Edwin Jarvis doesn't appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but J.A.R.V.I.S. -- inspired by the comic book butler -- does. Tony Stark's hypertech A.I. was a supporting character in "Iron Man," "Iron Man 2," "Iron Man 3," "The Avengers," and "Avengers: Age of Ultron." He was voiced by Paul Bettany, who also played the Vision when J.A.R.V.I.S.' programming is melded with Ultron's to create the android superhero. 

Jarvis also appeared in the "Agent Carter" television series. He was portrayed by James D'Arcy and served as both Howard Stark's butler and Peggy Carter's assistant on her missions in post-war America. avalyn notes that D'Arcy also plays Jarvis in "Avengers: Endgame," making him the first character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to appear on a TV show before a movie.

For reQuest 2018
("I want Jet-Poop to write about a minor or supporting comic book character.")

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.