Legend | Sci-Fi 

Recently, I have noticed many a poor nodeshell rescue attempt, which often ends up in a kill by one of the editors.

Nodeshell rescue is a wonderful idea. If done right, it enriches E2. Here are some ideas I'd like to offer to the rescuers.

Two types of nodeshells

Quite simply a nodeshell is either good or bad.

  • Good nodeshells These are the shells created by someone who meant to fill them up with a write-up and never got to it, or by someone who was hoping someone else would eventually rescue it.

  • Bad nodeshells These are the nasty ones, often created annonymously by noders who want to "make a statement" they know they would lose XP for. Instead, they create the nodeshells and use them to produce soft links to hurt without being hurt themselves.

Clearly, different action is appropriate for the two kinds of nodeshells.

Suggested action

  • If you run into a bad nodeshell, the right action is either to ignore it or to post an E2 Nuke Request.

    The wrong action is to rescue it or to link it here to the editor log. Why? For one thing, only the gods can delete nodeshells. Bugging the editors about something they can't fix is counterproductive.

    Besides, we come here to log our activities, we write here. Most of us will probably never even notice the soft link.

    It also confuses noders who come to the nodeshell, find the link to the log, click on it in the hope of finding some information related to the nodeshell, but do not find it.

  • When you run into a good nodeshell, the right action is either to ignore it or rescue it. What should you do?

    If, and only if, you have something pertinent to say, by all means rescue it.

    Otherwise, ignore it. Don't think, "Well, at least I rescued a nodeshell." No, you did not. In such a case one of the editors is most likely to rescue the node from the rescuer. It will be an empty nodeshell again, and you will lose XP.

Please, don't take this the wrong way: I am not trying to discourage the nodeshell rescue team effort. Au contraire! I think it's a good idea. I'm just suggesting that simply filling an empty shell with words is not exactly a rescue. Filling it with a quality write-up is.


Pulled the drama off The Tragic Shakespeare Site, by bs. The noder blames his lack of money on his E2 addiction. Addiction? Hehehe, hahaha. We can't admit to that publicly, can we now! (More seriously, it had the rep of -6.

Disconnected 10BaseT and 100BaseT by the never-logged-in cpwright, legacy write-ups obsoleted by Rancid_Pickle (nice job, thank you). Then I placed both on Page of Cool.

Found an error in circadian by jschaap: "dia is latin for day." Ye gods, that should be dies, not dia. Alas, jschaap has never logged in, so /msging would not have fixed it. I solved the problem by removing the legacy write-up and creating a new, somewhat more detailed, one.

Dead and loving it:

  • crackbabies by ChrisMacG: "A general term to describe anyone who was a) born after 1980, b) with out a clue, and/or c) republican. Generally heard in the phrase: Are you a Crack Baby?"

    *Ahem*

  • DQ2S by ChrisMacG: "See Dan Quayle Sympathy Syndrome or CrackBabies."

    Wow, and you mean to tell me HBO hasn't offered you a comedy special yet?

The useless writeups crested the hill. They were headed straight for our position. The sergeant growled: "It's them or us, boys!" We fixed our bayonets.

  • Bust A Move by stardot8: God knows I have no objection to Al Gore jokes, but they should be funny, and they should make sense. Just saying "invent" isn't enough. It has to be part of a complete sentence. /msg'd user.

  • Conversation with my dad by bitwaste: A torrent of obscene abuse. He doesn't like his dad. The feeling is probably mutual. I notified him.

  • dmd the loser who won't get a shower so we can go eat by kanon42: Her friend is late for lunch. Who cares? Good noder, bad writeup.

  • ranger, texas walker by jonk (long fled): Apparently there's a television program, the title of which is the same three words but in a different order. The first writeup is a joke about that, and it's tolerable. This one is from somebody (a native speaker of Latin, perhaps?) who doesn't really quite grok the whole word order thing. The writeup itself is dumb, rambling, and uninformative. He's a fan. Okay! Great. Glad to hear it.

  • how to know if girls like ya by evand2001: Principiis obsta:

    OK that is the question. if they do they will want to touch you alot and they will be ok with you touching them. they will be nice and look at ya the whole time. Ur sayin that you already knew this. Most of all they wont want you to know that they like ya and might come off cold but its when youre not lookin that they will let it show but the only way to know for sure is to ask her. so go and do that instead of reading this stupid page ;-)

    If you want an IRC channel, this isn't one. What is this "Ur" thing? I ended up chatting a bit with this one and he was more pleasant than I'd expected from the above.

  • n00n by maddvibe_ (E1 fossil): "see the national 0rganization 0f nerds." Thanks, I'll pass.

  • The national 0rganization 0f nerds by maddvibe_: An elaborate name for himself and three friends.

  • #n00n by maddvibe_: "a channel on irk that all the ppl from The national 0rganization 0f nerds hang out on." And "ppl" signifies . . . what?

  • irk by maddvibe_: One-line arglebargle about "ppl" and Yuma, AZ.

  • irk by Roadtrip (E1 fossil): They're breeeedinggg . . .


"Noxious Nodeshells" scans identically to "blue-green Olga", the title and tagline of a truly great Jon Spenser Blues Explosion song, written by ex-Luscious Jackson bassist Jill Cunniff. She sings backup on it too: "Blooo-greeeen Ollllgaaaaaa . . .". This means that if Jill Cunniff were here, she could sing "Nahhhxious Noooodeshelllllls", as a sort of lead-in to a list of nodeshells that we'd really be better off without. But she's not here, so I'll just give you a list:

dmd the loser who won't get a shower so we can go eat, how to know if girls like ya, The national 0rganization 0f nerds, n00n, #n00n

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.