August Stats:

Noded

Nuked

(not including Writeup Deletion by request)

  • closed source: one short writeup from E1 serves as a summary. Two is one too many. I killed the one with spelling errors.
  • Human Traffic: a self-absorbed and grammatically inept "me-too" appendage to an existing writeup.
  • tool controversy: a near incomprehensible rant, apparently about the names of one or two musical groups and some person, place or thing called Maynard. I guess I'm not cool enough to understand the finer points.

Cooled

Other

  • That which does not kill me, makes me stronger. It would be interesting to hear a serious critique, in light of Nietzsche's remarks in, say, Ecce Homo on why he is so clever and why he writes such great books. ANything short of that is GTKY in my humble opinion.
  • No firmlinks this month.

Copyright Compliance Report

Pursuant to the new proactive policy, the boss suggested to us that we review our own writeups for copyright violations.

Lucky for me, my enthusiasm for posting lyrics was shortlived and cleaned up a few months ago. I still had a copy of Richard Hugo's poem, "Degrees of Gray in Phillipsburg" in my writeup about Dick Hugo. I was using it to illustrate what Dick mean by "the triggering town" in precisely the way he used it in his creative writing class. From my perspective, that constituted "fair use", and the risk of being sued by Dick Hugo's estate is probably nil.

The poem is longer than 250 words, however, so it violates the new rules (excerpts are not to exceed 10% or, for short poetry, 250 words). Having definitive rules to work with is a lot more practical than trying to guess legal exposure. Moreover, the new policy isn't about liability, it's about respect. I show my respect for the poet, by not ripping off his poem, and my respect for the author of a website about the poet by referring to it.

Ack! You lost experience!

2003.08.04 at 19:50 Klaproth says I ate your writeup For Anybody. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.04 at 19:55 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup It's All The Same To The Clam. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.04 at 20:19 Klaproth says I ate your writeup Frozen Dream. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.04 at 21:07 Klaproth says I ate your writeup No Difference. Node Heaven will become its new residence.


You do it to yourself, you do
And that's what really hurts...

Radiohead, The Bends, "Just"

I don't know if the lyrics quoted above are even available on E2, but they won't be in a few months, unless the noder responsible for posting them has permission from their copyright owner. The policy's not official yet, but... something about an unstoppable force versus an immovable object? Yeah. With that in mind, I've made myself a little to-do list:

  1. Finish the node audit I started on my own writeups over a year ago, and weed out the not Scottish, in particular the unexplicated poetry and song lyrics. The above Klaproth messages refer to items from an old "fix these or nuke them" list of mine, which is just the beginning of the purges to come. I've got my work cut out for me, oh yes I do.

  2. Write the following artists for permission to use their works on E2:

    • Hamell on Trial (check! and the man himself gave me the go-ahead to use his lyrics! I win!)
    • Dan Bern/Bernstein (check! I even heard back from his webmistress!)
    • Robert Creeley
    • Sleater-Kinney
    • anybody else I turn up in my node audit who seems like they might actually write back (I figure the indie artists are more likely to respond to this kind of fan mail, and also it's not like Paul Simon needs the publicity of having me write about his songs on E2).

I might keep my "fix these or nuke them" list here, when I get around to making a new one. For now, I'll probably be too busy sorting out my own mess and sending Typo Death Squad messages to do much other editing stuff, but whatever I do, it'll be logged here unless some other user involved doesn't want it made public.

Editor Cooled


2003.08.04 at 23:25 Klaproth says I ate your writeup Love Comes Quietly. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.05 at 06:54 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup Tennessee Jed. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.05 at 06:56 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup Youth Decay. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.05 at 20:44 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup Somebody Has To. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.05 at 20:59 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup The Name. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.05 at 21:04 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup Inconvenienced. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.08 at 01:58 Klaproth says I ate your writeup Look At That. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.08 at 02:03 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup That's Where I Belong. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.08 at 04:46 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup The teacher. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.08 at 05:00 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup Señorita With a Necklace of Tears. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.20 at ?? (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup Saint Stephen. Node Heaven will become its new residence.


Big Props to:

New Content Editor GrouchyOldMan, for E2 Quest: Copyright Redemption. Welcome to the $-club, you curmudgeon, and thanks for bringing such a worthy cause with you.

Grzcyrgba, for working with me on Saint Stephen (long story short, I'd noded just the lyrics and a very brief comment; Grzcyrgba had a much more extensive analysis, and combining the two writeups produced (IMHO) a most worthy submission to E2 Quest: Copyright Redemption.


2003.08.21 at 02:37 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup Z-Roxx. Node Heaven will become its new residence.

2003.08.21 at 03:44 (fuzzy and blue) Klaproth says I ate your writeup Rolling Away. Node Heaven will become its new residence.


Noded

When Bobby Comes Down on 26 August 2003, in a heady rush of having Hamell on Trial's permission to use his work on E2.

Looks like the start of something big...

Road trip with Klaproth:

Nodeshells removed:

  • Obfuscated Bash Shell Delete/Corrupt Contest
  • Obfuscated Bash Shell Delete/Corrupt Files Contest

Editor Cooled:

Make August the month you go over your own nodes and weed out the ones that are not up to your standards.
Go Read E2 Copyright Changes. It details the new policy for copyrighted material posted on E2.

OENUINE QUALITY!
Snow White and Seven Midgets


T-shirt, Bangkok

Snow White

OENUINE QUALITY

Seven Midgets

Everything tastes of licorice.

Especially all the things you’ve waited so long for, like absinthe.

Zero Population Growth



Ouroboros suggested this strategy to me, and I like it. I'm not going to add any more writeups--except the occasional editor log--until I've killed my weight in writeups. From then on, I'll be establishing a one-to-one ratio. Plant one walnut, chop down one walnut tree. This is going to mean a lot of trips to the Robotic Editor Shack for me. The good news is that if I kill one of my own, then I get "double credit" for it: kills++, writeups--.

I've also taken to pre-emptively attacking new noders. Not that I don't enjoy blasting first-time writeups... in fact, with my above goal, I should probably let them fall where they may. But since the Other Users nodelet tells you if a noder is new, I've taken to /msging all the Day One people. My first words are always:

(r) 2003.8.20@13:00 Jurph says Welcome to Everything2!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.