EditPlus is indeed a nifty text editor. The syntax highlighting is configurable and can cope with script code embedded in HTML, highlighting everything correctly. MSVC doesn't do that, ha! It also has a groovy "User Tool" feature which will capture standard output and put it in an "output" window. Everybody does that, but EditPlus is also willing to pipe the contents of the edit buffer through a "tool" and back into the buffer. This is very cool: Two thirds of the features users request on the developers' little message board can be implemented that way if you've got awk and sed for Win32 (http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/download.html).

It's not perfect: The regular expression thing has a couple of issues (e.g. /^$/ doesn't match empty lines), but if you can wire sed into it that's not life'n'death. It also needs an embedded JavaScript or Scheme interpreter; there are some limits on what you can do by piping text through awk.

It's the only shareware windows text editor I've yet seen that's professionally done, solid, and generally worth using; hell, I even paid the thirty bucks to register it. There's still nothing GPL'd, though, so I'm still puttering away on mine whenever I have the time.
Edit Plus, as described above is an awesome text editor available only for the Windoze operating system.

The moment that someone ports Edit Plus to Linux, my transition to that operating system will be complete.

The best way to set up Edit Plus for programming:

If you're a hardcore HTML writer, edit plus contains some useful toolbars for HTML stuff and also supports IE internally so you can quickly review your HTML documents for errors.

EditPlus has been my favorite text editor on Windows so far. Some of my higher ranking writeups have ASCII art or fixed width charts made with EditPlus, which has a left align, right align, and center feature, as well as column select (enabled when word wrap is turned off).

Another neat feature is the ability to specify executable commands under the Tools menu. By registering javac.exe, I can compile a simple Java sourcecode with a keyboard shortcut, for instance. The Nansei Islands writeup features a map of islands, which were generated from processing a black and white BMP file with custom made Java code.

However, I'm pretty sure the text editor marketplace has cut-throat competition, and none of the awesome features (which there are many) are really unique. Unlike other sharewares, however, some versions of EditPlus can be continuously used after the supposed 30 day trial period. My EditPlus installs tend to go on years without ever entering a registration code, because I don't mind the nag, and I lost the registration code I paid for years ago.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.