It seems worth mentioning that ecstasy derives from a term in ancient Greek meaning to stand "out of the body" (or mind.) This was similar to the idea of being "beside oneself" with joy, for example, but carried a more exact, literal sense, reminiscent of the descriptions given by some psychedelic veterans or religious practitioners, or by some of the people who have undergone "out of body experiences" in near-death situations.

The term was used to describe the trance experience of practitioners of the various Greek mystery religions, such as Orphism, and there were shamanic doctors, called Ecstatici who were thought to heal others during their trances.

Plotinus, a practitioner of Orphism and a contemporary of Pythagoras, though not himself a Pythagorean, gives the following description: (Enneads, IV.8. I)

Many times it has happened: Lifted out of the body into myself; becoming external to all other things and self-encentred; beholding a marvellous beauty; then, more than ever, assured of community with the loftiest order; [...] poised above whatever in the Intellectual is less than the Supreme: yet, there comes the moment of descent from intellection to reasoning, and after that sojourn in the divine, I ask myself [...] how did the soul ever enter into my body, the soul which even within the body, is the high thing it has shown itself to be.


The Plotinus quote is from Bertrand Russell's A History of Western Philosophy, where, amusingly enough, the translation is attributed to 'McKenna'.

Ec"sta*sy (?), n.; pl. Ecstasies (#). [F. extase, L. ecstasis, fr. Gr. , fr. to put out of place, derange; = out + to set, stand. See Ex-, and Stand.] [Also written extasy.]

1.

The state of being beside one's self or rapt out of one's self; a state in which the mind is elevated above the reach of ordinary impressions, as when under the influence of overpowering emotion; an extraordinary elevation of the spirit, as when the soul, unconscious of sensible objects, is supposed to contemplate heavenly mysteries.

Like a mad prophet in an ecstasy. Dryden.

This is the very ecstasy of love. Shak.

2.

Excessive and overmastering joy or enthusiasm; rapture; enthusiastic delight.

He on the tender grass Would sit, and hearken even to ecstasy. Milton.

3.

Violent distraction of mind; violent emotion; excessive grief of anxiety; insanity; madness.

[Obs.]

That unmatched form and feature of blown youth Blasted with ecstasy. Shak.

Our words will but increase his ecstasy. Marlowe.

4. Med.

A state which consists in total suspension of sensibility, of voluntary motion, and largely of mental power. The body is erect and inflexible; the pulsation and breathing are not affected.

Mayne.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ec"sta*sy, v. t.

To fill ecstasy, or with rapture or enthusiasm.

[Obs.]

The most ecstasied order of holy . . . spirits. Jer. Taylor.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.