Canon's range of EOS photo cameras was introduced in 1987, with the EOS 650. This camera family has since developed to one of the world's most successful SLR systems. In 1989 the EOS 1 was introduced, the beginning of a series was (and still is) Canon's professional cameras.

EOS was originally an abbreviation for Electro-Optical System, but the full wording has only been used on a few occasions. Canon owners tend to say that EOS stands for Eye Of Soul.

History of the EOS cameras:

  • 1987
    • EOS 650
    • EOS620
  • 1988
    • EOS 750
    • EOS 850
  • 1989
  • 1990
    • EOS 700
    • The EOS 10
    • EOS 1000 (REBEL).
  • 1991
    • EOS 1000F (REBEL S / 1000QD),
    • EOS 100 (ELAN/100QD)
  • 1992
    • EOS 1000N (REBEL II)
    • EOS 1000FN (REBEL S II / 1000S),
    • The EOS 5 (A2E / 5QD),
  • 1993
    • The EOS 500 (REBEL X / KISS)
  • 1994
    • The EOS 1N (HS) upgraded version of the original EOS 1
  • 1995
    • EOS 5000
    • EOS 1N RS used a pellicle mirror to be able to take 10 pictures a second
    • EOS 50 (ELAN II / 55)
  • 1996
    • The EOS 500 N (REBEL G)
    • EOS 500 (REBEL X / KISS)
    • The EOS IX (IX E) an APS model
  • 1998
    • The EOS IX 7 (IX LITE / IX 50) an APS model
    • EOS 3 The camera to fill the gap between the semi-pro cameras and the professional models
  • 1999
    • EOS 3000 a budget model
    • EOS 300 Canon's new amateur model
  • 2000
    • EOS 1v Canon's newest top-of-the-line professional camera

If I've missed any models, please let me know - I think I should have them all :)


The cameras, sorted by alphabet (and this time, actually linked. Woo.)

Cameras with an asterisk (*) have been noded.

Analog SLRs

Cameras with QD in their names are identical to the non-QD, but have a Quartz Date back - meaning you can record dates to the photographs. It is evil :)

Digital SLRs

-30-

Eos

The Greek goddess of the dawn, Eos was the daughter of two ealry light deities, Hyperion and Thea, both wereTitans. Her sister was Selene, who represented the moon in Greek mythology. Eos was a winged woman who drove a chariot hitched to four swift steeds, dragging light across the sky; she changed at midday into Hemera ("light of day") and later into the sunset, sometimes called Hesperide.

Eos had many lovers, often kidnapping handsome men to serve her needs. One was the gigantic Orion, a rather brutal human, who, because of his constant mistreatment of his wife Merope, was blinded by Merope's father and by the wine-god Dionysus. In order to restore his sight, Orion was told to bathe his face in Eos's rays. She saw him standing on a hilltop and not only restored Orion's sight but stole him away for her lover. Orion never did remedy his violent ways, however, and was eventually removed to the stars for an offense against Artemis.

Another mortal lover was Tithonus, for whom Eos conceived so lasting an affection that she begged immortality for him. Alas for him, Eos forgot to add a request for eternal youth. Slowly Tithonus wizened, and Eos's love faded. She fled his bed, and took a revenge upon him by turning him into a cricket and installing him in a little cage near her door, as a reminder that love is fleeting.

E"os (?), n. [L., fr. Gr. 'Hw`s.] Gr. Myth.

Aurora, the goddess of morn.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.