European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, N.V.

EADS was established in 2000 as the merger of Aerospatiale Matra SA of France, DaimlerChrysler Aerospace AG of Germany and Construcciones Aeronauticas SA (CASA) of Spain, creating the third largest aerospace company in the world behind Boeing and Lockheed Martin. The company controls the Eurocopter program, most of Airbus, over half of the Eurofighter program and the satellite firm Astrium, and portions of Dassault Aviation and Arianespace.

EADS and its subsidiaries are in five main lines of business:

  • Space Systems
  • Military Transport Aircraft
  • Airbus
  • Aeronautics
  • Defence and Civil Systems

Space Systems

The Space Systems division of EADS include Astrium, EADS-CASA Espacio, EADS Cilas, EADS Launch Vehicles, EADS Sodem, Jena-Optronik GmbH, and EADS Space Services. This division is responsible for the manufacture of the European contributions to the International Space Station (managed by the European Space Agency) and is also responsible for technical management and engineering services for the Ariane 5.

Military Transport Aircraft

The Military Transport Aircraft division is responsible for EADS CASA and Airbus Military military aircraft, including the CASA C-212, CASA CN-235, CASA C-295, and Airbus A400M. They also produce anti-submarine warfare and maritime patrol versions of some of their aircraft, and retrofit C-130 Hercules and P-3 Orion aircraft with modern digital avionics.

Airbus

Airbus is responsible for a number of aircraft, including the popular Airbus A320, the Airbus A300/A310, the Airbus A330/A340, the ultra-long-range Airbus A380 (which is awaiting production), and the Airbus A300-600ST "Beluga". Most of these, except the Beluga, are used mainly as passenger aircraft, though there are cargo versions of the A300/A310. The A300-600ST is exclusively a cargo aircraft, used to transport bulky goods such as Ariane 5 stages.

Aeronautics

The Aeronautics division consists of Military Aircraft (the Eurofighter), Helicopters (the Eurocopter), ATR, EADS Socata, EADS EFW, and EADS Sogerma. They deal with advanced research and development in both military and civilian applications.

Defence and Civil Systems

Defence and Civil Systems is comprised of a Missles unit, EADS Systems & Defence Electronics, EADS Telecom, and EADS Services.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.