"There's a reason people bank here"

European American Bank (primarily known as EAB) is a full-service commercial bank that has serviced the New York Metropolitan area since 1921. EAB is NY State chartered and is a member of the F.D.I.C., the Federal Reserve System, the Federal Home Loan Bank, and the New York Clearing House Association. Its assets currently exceed $15.4 billion and it has approximately 97 branches recognizable by their unique green color scheme.

EAB as we know it today has grown slowly over time. In 1921, Société Générale de Banque in Belgium established an office in NYC called Banque Belge pour L'Étranger. In 1968, Amsterdam-Rotterdam Bank of the Netherlands, Deutsche Bank of Germany, and Midland Bank of Great Britain joined Société Générale as shareholders in an entity they renamed European American Bank and Trust Company. In 1974, EAB acquired a failing Franklin Square National Bank based on Long Island. In 1984, European American Bank and Trust Company became European American Bank (EAB) and the conglomeration was acquired in 1991 by ABN AMRO Bank N.V. which is headquartered in the Netherlands. ABN AMRO Bank N.V., one of the world's largest banks, is now EAB's sole shareholder.

On a personal note, EAB was the first institution I entrusted with the pennies I made every other week while I was in college. It's relatively no-frills and its technology and ATM machines are old, but they really don't charge a lot of ludicrous fees and their basic accounts fill the needs of those just starting out. Besides, they gave me a mug when I signed up.

Adapted from information on the EAB website.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.