All parts of this HTML guide for Everything 2 include:
(all chapters)   |   Overview/Contents/Index   |   Tags and Starting New Lines   |   Character Formatting   |   Special Characters   |   Lists   |   Giving Credit Where Credit is Due   |   Miscellaneous Tags   |   EOF: Index and Information   |   Tables   |   (Quick Start)


5: Giving Credit Where Credit is Due

You've been hard at work on a great writeup that has lots of information summarized from many different sources. Now, how do you give credit to those whose hard work you stole from used? If you've half a brain (or more), you should've figured I'll explain how.



5.1: Block Quotations

One common situation is having a long quotation (one that takes up several lines). Simply enclosing it in quotation marks isn't adequate; you want to indent it, as is proper. The way to do just that is use the <blockquote> tag. The following paragraph is just plain text, with <blockquote> before it, and </blockquote> after it.

Testing, testing, one, two, three. Hey - are you reading this? How did you do that? This paragraph was encrypted with a very secure encryption algorithm! Hmmm... on second thought, maybe you just got lucky and guessed every single word. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Ok, now for the very important secret message: qpcjc pizza dodcp sleep dweez grrrr souxt pvnrt hnmqo fumcm bzyfs ioctl wtbal xyzzy jvgiz sdram plsqw souix szbyl
To be really picky, the block quot[e]ation tag doesn't have to indent, but most browsers indent it from the left and right margins, and put a little space above and below it.



5.2: Quotes

What if you have a short quotation? You can surround the text with the <q> tag (just a plain letter "Q"). (If your browser incorrectly does not indicate anything special, trash it and use a good one.) The nice people who defined HTML say browsers must add their own quotation marks, and you (the author) should not add your own. (This way, the proper locale-specific characters and multi-level quotations are correctly done.)

To specify the source, surround the source with <cite> tag to indicate that it is a citation. Graphical browsers usually render this in italics, which is usually what you would want, anyway.

This example of using <cite> and <q> tags:
          In 2002, Nathan exclaimed, Everything 1 is now gone. Long live Everything 2! - N-Wing
was created by this HTML:
          <q>In 2002, Nathan exclaimed, <q>Everything 1 is now gone. Long live Everything 2!</q></q> - <cite>N-Wing</cite>


previous: Chapter 4: Lists     |     next: Chapter 6: Miscellaneous Tags

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.