As of this writing, the E2 FreeBook Project has not been officially sanctioned
to call itself E2
anything. If the project turns out to offend, it will be removed, and I will set it up in a different way, under a different name. I respect the work done on E2
greatly, and will not infringement
on the name in any unwanted way. I simply find it to be the perfect place to begin idealist
Despite several pats on the shoulder, I received nearly no members of the project. I was recommended to turn the goals over to the WikiBooks project, and have already begun talks with them.
Permission for nuking granted.
The E2 FreeBook Project is the logical next step
in the Internet Revolution
, at least in this noder
's humble mind. It is an extension of three intersection technological wonder
s: Electronic publishing
, and of course, E2
and similar (lesser) knowledge centers
that have been born by the internet
is, that there is a severe mismatch
between what competent people with very little effort can produce, and what the industrial
sectors offer at inflated prices. Just about any E2 noder
or talented internet user
can put together archives of knowledge in a given topic
, ranging from Napoleon
. At the same time, college
and university student
s the world over pay extortionist
prices for mass produced
books on such topics. High school
and younger students, and a large part of societies with limited or no educational infrastructure
, often cannot afford the luxury of learning
beyond their level. Some cannot even afford to learn at all.
The E2 FreeBook Project has as its goal the following:
How to participate
- Connecting and organizing noders, and research-minded non-noders, interested in providing the unfortunate (and basically anyone else) with free and/or cheap high-grade study books on topics at levels from high-school through university and post-university learning.
- Structuring efforts of these people into the creation of books that will be offered for free (as electronic books) or cheaply (printed editions through print-on-demand services).
- With sufficient books, create awareness about the existence of free/affordable study materials amongst those not fortunate enough to freely buy the far more expensive versions available.
- Create awareness in educational institutions of high quality, low price/free materials for use in teaching, especially where said institutions lack funding to easily provide the level of education that future generations need and deserve.
- Though printed editions are priced as low as possible, the intent is to leave room for a small profit, which will be donated to E2 in an effort to make it the primary base of operations for the project (hence its name).
in the E2 FreeBook Project does not necessarily require a PhD
; all books will be based around the need for adequatedly educated supervision, but elements like research
and some editing
, even draft
writing, are open to anyone with the interest in aiding those less fortunate
than the rest of us.
To participate, send an email
to E2FreeBook___@___hotmail.com (remove _underscores_), detailing your fields of interest
s), your level and field
, the sort of work you would like to participate in, and of course the amount of time you intend to devote. All this will go into planning assignments
, so that no participant
or lacks things to do
In general, participants will be organized
groups'. This means that should a participant lack time or decide to leave, workflow
can easily be rerouted. In this way, the writing of books becomes a community
endevour, not a burden on any single individual
is to use the highly flexible
nature of E2
as a production platform
to develop books on. This has been tried before, and is an interesting way to develop books in a public forum
. Content can be added flowingly, until a complete product
is achieved. And, of course, after that has been turned into a FreeBook, these E2 nodes will serve as a forum
for updating the material, until another edition
of the book is in order.
the creation of FreeBooks will be the work of a central, dedicated group, at the time consisting of cognis
and whoever I may draw upon. This group will do the work
of asking around who can write what, and converting final results into publishable e-book
s and book
Aside from world domination
and sacrificing virgins
to The Elder Ones
, the long-term goals of the E2 FreeBook Project is to provide a well-stocked library
of books to lighten the cost of education
for young people