A Dutch Baby is sometimes called a German pancake, though it doesn't really remind me of pancakes (it's more like a big meal-sized popover, really). It's terribly easy to make and incredibly tasty. Highly recommended for geeks who don't like to cook so much, or college students on a budget.

You will need a few pieces of equipment:

And the following ingredients:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (warning: do not use whole wheat flour! I speak from experience!)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tbsps butter
    And some people also like:
  • a pinch of salt and/or
  • a dash of vanilla and/or
  • a touch of lemon juice
And you will want toppings, like:
  • Applesauce and a little grated cheddar cheese (my favorite)
  • Whipped cream and strawberries (or any fruit, really)
  • Maple syrup
Okay, here's how you do it: Preheat your oven to 425 or 450. In the mixing bowl, beat the eggs well with the fork until they're well mixed. Add the milk, and then the flour, and then any of the optional ingredients. Mix well. While you're finishing that, put the butter in the skillet and stick in the oven just long enough to melt the butter. Coat the skillet with the melted butter, then pour the batter into the skillet. Put the whole shebang into the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes.

The Dutch baby will rise up in spectacular fashion. Observe it proudly. When it is big and puffy and golden brown remove it. Now POKE IT WITH A FORK! Watch your majestic creation deflate into a steaming pile of warm Dutch Baby goodness. This step is essential because if you do not deflate the Dutch Baby you will not be able to bring yourself to cut it up and eat it. Which will leave you hungry. Trust me here. Anyway, now take the knife, and cut the Dutch Baby into quarters. Serve and garnish with toppings (really: try the applesauce). Enjoy.

This recipe scales well to larger or smaller skillets. Just remember the ratio of 1 egg to 1/4 cup of flour to 1/4 cup of milk.

Apple Dutch Baby

Use full sized iron skillet. Slice apples in 16ths. Fry sliced apples in butter briefly, add cinnamon and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Goal is fork tender apples at finish of baking. Don't over cook.

3 large apples, tart cooking apples are best, decrease sugars and/or cooking time if using any other.
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 T cinnamon
1/2 t freshly ground nutmeg

Blend all other ingredients until smooth in blender.
4 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup white flour
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 t salt
1 t vanilla

Pour batter over apples and sugar/spice

Bake at 350 degree F for 20 minutes.

Dutch babies puff up then fall.

Serve with maple syrup or a dusting of confectioners sugar or plain.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.