the prequel to Frank Herbert's Dune series, by his son, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Written from notes left by Frank. Explains the origin of some themes and motifs in Dune. Not as bad as Christopher Tolkien's rendition from his father's notes

A book that claims to tell the love story of the Duke Leto and Jessica, as well as explain some other things in the Dune universe. The writing style from what I've read is completely unlike Frank Herbert's... The notes were "recently found in a hidden safe" *cough*, and from what I hear, it's not so hot... but I will agree with bozon on the fact that it seems not as bad at Chris Tolkien's junk.

I liked this book. I agree that it's not the same caliber as Dune, but neither were the other books in the series. The book covers Duke Leto's childhood, the conception of Jessica (you find out who her mother is!), and many other things. The love story between Leto and Jessica is non-existent in this book because they aren't old enough. It does give a lot of political background and the personal background of Duncan Idaho. It's worth reading if you love the Dune universe.

I went to a book signing in Livermore, CA for this book. Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson seemed to be writing this series out of a passion for the Dune universe, not just for money, but you never know.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.