Since their first single burst onto the music scene, Drowning Pool have become one of the biggest Nu metal bands of 2002. The band is

The band came together when Mike and C.J moved from New Orleans to Dallas to meet up with friend and bassist Steve, and also in an attempt to find other people to jam with.

"Mike and I were jamming together for about four years and we couldn't find the right people for the sound we were looking for". C.J.

The band started playing around the Dallas area but the band still needed a frontman, and they were looking for someone with the stage presence that their music demanded. It came in the form of Dave Williams - a man who had been nick named 'Stage' by Dimebag of Pantera, who had been singing with bands in the Dallas area for around two years.

They take the name Drowning Pool from the film of the same name. When they were looking for a name, Steve realised that he had lost his virginity to the film years before, and seeing it again on TV was the inspiration for the name. The now four strong band recorded a demo, and started touring in 1998 with the likes of Kitty and Hed(PE). After tour commitments were done the band went back to the studio to record a six track demo which landed them on the radio and eventually signing for Wind-Up Records.

After selling more than 2000 copies of their demo the band went into the studio again with producer Jay Baumgardner (Papa Roach, Orgy, Coal Chamber) to record their full album. Titled Sinner it entered the charts in the US and the UK shortly after its release.

The sound of the band is, and I hate to say this, fairly typical for modern metal. Lots of distorted guitars which have been down tuned at least a step (one tone, such as going from E down to D) but more normally two. The guitar does sound slightly different because the guitarist uses wah wah pedals a lot. Combined with the distortion this produces distinctive note heard on 'Bodies' during the bridge sections a lot.

Most of the songs, which are written by Williams, center around relationships and the band's thoughts on youth culture - their audience. 'Bodies' for example is a call for moshing to start - 'Let the bodies hit the floor'. There is no obvious self hating or revenge taking on old girlfriends or parents that we often see in modern metal such as Korn or Papa Roach.

The band were voted 'New band of the year' in Metal Edges 17h annual readers choice award.

Discography:
Sinner - Wind-Up records, 2002.

  1. The game
  2. Bodies
  3. Tear away
  4. Sinner
  5. All over
  6. Reminded
  7. Pity
  8. Mute
  9. I am
  10. Follow
  11. Told you so


Update (14/08/02):

'Drowning Pool singer Dave Williams was found dead on the band's tour bus this afternoon. The quartet from Dallas, Texas has been performing as one of the main stage attractions on Ozzfest. The cause of death has yet to be determined.'
http://www.drowningpool.com/news.shtml

Rest in peace. Dave Williams 1972 - 2002. Thanks to CzarKhan for bringing this to my attention

Public memorial planned for Dave Williams on Sunday, August 18, 2002 A DVD of Drowning Pool on tour and behind the scenes, with the profits going to Daves family has been released.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.