First album by Heart, recorded 1975 in Vancouver and, after selling over 30000 copies in Canada, released March 1976 in the US on the Mushroom Records label. Peaked at no. 7 in the Billboard charts and became platinum two months after its release.

Definitely one of the most important albums of the mid-1970s, this remarkable debut marked the breakthrough for both the Wilson sisters and their record label. It was even more impressive to have a band where the girls were clearly in charge reach the artistic and commercial heights of Dreamboat Annie. At the time only Heart and Fleetwood Mac were successful in breaking the stranglehold of male vocalists on the rock world.

Released during a pretty miserable era in which glam rock was practically dead, the originality in progressive rock was spent and psychedelia was on its way out the back door, Dreamboat was fresh and crystalline. For the most part it stands outside and above its time, rarely reminding one that this is a 1970s album. Ann Wilson's voice was never better and the excellent, though sometimes a bit too elaborate, arrangements, including some very nice acoustic guitar and banjo tracks make this album a keeper.

Dreamboat Annie produced the hits Crazy On You and Magic Man though I personally prefer the title track.

Track listing:

  1. Magic Man
  2. Dreamboat Annie (Fantasy Child)
  3. Crazy On You
  4. Soul of the Sea
  5. Dreamboat Annie
  6. White Lightning & Wine
  7. (Love Me Like Music) I'll Be Your Song
  8. Sing Child
  9. How Deep it Goes
  10. Dreamboat Annie (reprise)

All tracks written by Ann and Nancy Wilson, except 8. (Wilson/Wilson/Fossen/Fisher)

Line-up:


    Ann Wilson (flute, vocals)
    Nancy Wilson (acoustic and electric guitars, backup vocals)
    Roger Fisher (guitars)
    Steve Fossen (bass)
    Mike Derosier (drums)
    Howard Leese (guitar, synth, bells)
    ...and a host of session musicians

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.