I was a technician of nylon polymers. Working late as usual. All alone in the warehouse and screwing around, using random expensive precision instruments and plastic buckets as a drum kit, and rocking out. But a twisted chain of polymers kept snaking out of nowhere and coiling around my neck. I remembered how my coworkers stigmatized me for being antireligious. A pack of rabidly religious polymer technicians those fellas. A few of them would regularly work me over in a private control room, but their choice of celluloses made me laugh. I knew their bruised minds would eventually grasp the pure mathematics involved. And when I thought of Myron I was happy, until I thought of Paul, at which point I spontaneously stimulated the development of the first truly synthetic plastic.
My work as a field nurse being hardly empirical, I rarely gave thought to the artificial giant molecules in my care until the housekeeping had gotten way out of hand. Then I had to fill these hydrogenated wafers with cream filling and dip them in tempered chocolate at least 23 times before I felt at all pacified. Even so, I was never satisfied with the religious proofs expounded by my tormentors, but was forced to abide by their pronouncements nonetheless, at least until the next cycle-through. Carts filled with inedible hydrogenated crumbs crowded the cells where the giant molecules were aged. I stood in the middle of the warehouse, straddling my makeshift drums, and yelled out to my supervisor: "Hydrogenated crumbs were outlawed seven cycles ago!" But he never answered me, so I satisfied myself with giving hostile replies to the thugs working me over, and hiding my face with my hand.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.