I have two words for you:

Negative C!s.

They are to downvotes as regular C!s are to upvotes. And they existed in my dream. Oh, the terror I felt...

I was browsing through E2, still high off of my most recent node, when I stumbled upon one of my older nodes. To my horror, I found this at the top of the page:


On the Perception of Incongruity


(idea) by redbaker (now!) (print)                                                    Rep: -54 (+30/-84)               3 C!s   7 D!s                                    Sun Dec 28 2003 at 22:09:53


"On the Perception of Incongruity: A Paradigm," is a brilliant psychological study on the nature of perception that was done in 1949 by Jerome S. Bruner and Leo J. Postman. It was first published in the Journal of Personality, No. 18, September 1949. In the experiment, 28 test subjects were repeatedly shown playing cards in a tachistoscope for increasing lengths of time, gradually increasing from 10 milliseconds to a full second, with three exposures at each speed. Unbeknownst to the subjects, half of the cards they looked at were doctored — specifically, their color and suit were mismatched. For example, there was a black three of hearts and a red six of spades. After each exposure, they asked the subject "What did you see?" If the subject answered correctly twice in a row, it was considered a correct identification, and the time exposure was recorded...


I woke up shivering. I need to spend less time on E2, methinks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.