TSRs answer to Hero Quest and Warhammer Quest. Dragon Strike is D&D as a boardgame.

Essentially a clone of Hero Quest, Dragon Strike did add more rules and dice to the mix. Along with these differances was the addition of 4 playing boards instead of the 1 generic board that Hero Quest used.

Each of the boards described a differant area: Town, Castle, Forest and Cave. The game included an adventure book that described differant scenarios in each of the regions.

Also included in the box was an introductory video. Terrible Computer effects, lousy acting and a Game Master that yells "Now You're Getting Into It!" everytime one of his players tries to act like their character. Filmed in front of a bluescreen, the video also featured American Gladiator Malibu as the Warrior, with several unnamed actors in the roles of Wizard, Thief and Elf.

If you can find a copy, the game is worth picking up for a couple hours of fun. But if you have the choice, go with Hero Quest.

Title: Dragon Strike
Developer: Westwood Studios
Publisher: SSI
Date Published: 1990
Platforms: MS-DOS

Dragon Strike was a game developed by Westwood Studios and released by SSI in 1990. In effect, it's a dragon flight simulator set in Krynn and is supposedly also based in AD&D rules. It was pretty much unique in its genre until Sega's Panzer Dragoon and other sims in late 1990s and early 2000s.

Your job in the game is to act as a knight on dragonback. Your primary weapon is, of course, the dragon's breath weapon, and you also have a lance. (This is Dragonlance, after all.) The dragon and the lance are controlled separately using keyboard, mouse, joystick, or combination of thereof.

The terrain and the enemies are all 3D (flat-shaded polygons, also edged flat-shaded polygons and wireframe mode supported), and you have a crystal ball to act as a radar and you can change the viewpoint too (for example, look back and see your dragon's cute tail).

The game is obviously no longer available in stores. Many abandonware sites carry the MS-DOS version that does support VGA and AdLib/SoundBlaster. (I'm not aware of other ports, but I thought there was an Amiga port...)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.