If you are making your way around the Baltimore Beltway at any hour of the day or night and get hungry, the Double T will satisfy your cravings. One of the most popular eating establishments in the Baltimore area, it is open 24 hours a day, and is busy much of the time. Expect to wait in line on weekends, especially on Sundays after church.

Locations

The Double T Diner is now actually a small chain of diners in the Baltimore area. I asked one of the waitresses there recently how many they had now, and she said there were 7 locations. In 1990 there were only two locations, a tiny diner located on Pulaski Highway about 2 miles inside the Baltimore Beltway, and the much larger diner located in Catonsville. The Catonsville diner is located at the corner of Baltimore National Pike and Rolling Road, about 1 mile west of Exit 15 of the Baltimore Beltway, which is the diner that most people refer to. An almost exact clone of the Catonsville diner is located in Glen Burnie at the corner of Ritchie Highway and Mountain Road near the interchange with Route 100. Other locations have somewhat different designs, and are located in Annapolis, White Marsh, Eldersburg, and Ellicott City.

Decor

The Catonsville and Glen Burnie locations are built out of white brick, chrome, and a greenish tinted glass. Inside, this theme continues with a late 1950s theme of chrome, glass, and mirrors, with etched glass dividers with the Double-T logo between booths, and a large segmented mirror on the back wall of the rear dining area. The uppolstery is teal naugahyde, which gives the place a clean and bright look. One touch I like at the Catonsville location are the ceiling fixtures, with sort of a rocket theme.

Food

The Catonsville Double T is owned by a Greek family, and the menu reflects their tastes with quite a few Greek dishes, in addition to burgers, sandwiches, and a large variety of American and Italian entrees. Food is generally quite good and plentiful, the club sandwiches have meat piled up over an inch thick. Breakfast is served 24 hours a day, and they have specials during the peak morning hours. If you are not completely stuffed by the entrees, then check out the bakery case. The Glen Burnie location has a slightly better selection, but both are quite good and will surely add to your waistline.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.