Full Name: Dost Mohammed Khan Mohammedzai. Son of Painda Khan. Ruler of Kabul, Afghanistan from 1826-1839 and 1842-1863. Deposed by the British during the First Anglo-Afghan War, but returned after their defeat, later to become a British ally. Born 1788, Died 1863. A differnt Afghan, also named Dost Mohammed, founded Bhopal, India.

Afghan ruler. Born c. 1793, died 1863.

Taking control of Kabul in 1826, Dost Muhammad proclaimed himself Amir(emir) of Afghanistan in 1835.

Caught between rival interests (Sikhs in Peshawar, Russians to the north, and British to the south), Dost Muhammad Khan tried to cut a deal with the British. What followed was an example of faulty understanding on both sides.

The British, viewing Dost Muhammad as unreliable, expelled him from Kabul in 1839, replacing him with Shah Shujah. This incident touched off the First Anglo-Afghan War, which ended in 1842 with a catastrophic British defeat and the total rout of the British forces. In 1843, Dost Muhammad was able to retake Kabul.

Despite their earlier differences, Dost Muhammad and the British decided to let bygones be bygones. In 1857, a treaty was signed, and the remainder of Dost Muhammad's years were peaceful.

When Dost Muhammad died, in 1863, he was (not very peacefully, at all) succeeded by his third son, Sher Ali.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.