Doritos (Spanish for little bits of gold) were first introduced in the US in 1966 and were the first new snack chip to hit the market since Korn Kurls made their debut in 1950, over a decade earlier.

Doritos has long capitalized on their crunchiness, with ad campaigns as early as 1973, in which Avery Schreiber told audiences that "They taste as good as they crunch." Other ad campaigns include "Life with Doritos/Life without Doritos" and "The Loudest Taste on Earth" campaign which won awards for advertising effectiveness.

Doritos are basically a triangular corn chip with flavoring powder. While many people enjoy them straight out of the bag, it's also fairly common to eat them with some form of dip or salsa. Here in the US, they're an excellent choice for parties, along with regular potato chips and Cheetos.

Along with the original nacho cheese flavor, now dubbed "Nacho Cheesier!", there are also Cooler Ranch (formerly Cool Ranch), Flamin' Hot, Salsa Verde, Spicy Nacho, as well as two flavors of the puffed version, 3D's, in Nacho Cheesier and Cooler Ranch.

I am particularly partial to the Nacho Cheesier flavor, although after a time the orange flavor powder can get a bit overpowering, and I also like the Cooler Ranch, though in much smaller doses. I admit, I am a spice wuss and cannot handle any of the hot or spicy flavor types. And I don't think the 3D's hold a candle to original Doritos.

Doritos are a Frito-Lay product, which means that they are a Pepsi-Co product as Frito-Lay, Inc. and the Pepsi-Cola Company merged to form PepsiCo, Inc. in 1965.

The serving size for the Nutrition Facts is based on a Big Grab bag which has a net weight of 1.75 oz (49.6g).

Percentage Daily Vaules are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
And, of course, lots of Ingredients. After all, that powder stuff is quite the concoction.
corn, vegetable oil (contains on or more of the following: corn, soybean, sunflower, or partially hydrogenated soybean oil), cheddar cheese (cultured milk, salt, enzymes), salt, buttermilk solids, wheat flour, whey protein concentrate, romano cheese from cow's milk (cultured milk, salt, enzymes), tomato powder, monosodium glutimate, onion powder, whey, garlic powder, dextrose, sugar, disodium phosphate, lactic acid, natural flavor, spice, citric acid, parmesan cheese (cultured milk, salt, enzymes), artificial colors (including yellow 6, red 40), disodium inosinate, and disodium guanylate
Some information culled from the decently useful and easily navigated website at www.doritos.com.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.