Bumper sticker from around 1974, placed on the cars of liberal Massachusetts voters.

The 1972 US Presidential election was the second biggest electoral vote margin in United States history, with Richard M. Nixon winning in 49 states, and George McGovern only able to garner the majority of the votes in only Massachusetts and the District of Columbia. At that point, Nixon was still seen as something of a good guy, McGovern had been painted as the candidate of Amnesty, abortion, and acid, and McGovern had courted controversy after the medical scandal and replacement of Thomas Eagleton.

Then, the dominoes fell. Spiro Agnew, Nixon's running "mate"("No assassin in his right mind would kill me", Nixon said about Agnew) was charged with taking bribes, and pleaded no contest, leaving the VP position.

Then, seven men associated with the Committee to Re-elect the President(better known as CREEP) were arrested for illegally wiretapping the DNC headquarters in a certain hotel. Nixon attempted a cover-up, and you know the rest of this story.

Amnesty, abortion, and acid started to look a lot better compared to the downright evil Nixon, and Massachusetts voters decided to show off their political foresight in not electing two utter crooks. The sentiment would be revived in stickers saying "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" once George W. Bush's approval ratings collapsed.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.