"Don't cry" is what people always say to you when you're having an emotional breakdown. But why not cry? Why is crying such a bad thing? Crying lets your emotions out, makes most people feel sorry for you, and usually makes you feel better afterward. Not crying is like denying your emotions. If you deny your feelings, the problem will never get solved, and you'll never feel any better! Crying is, therefore, a good thing.

"Don't cry" is a song from my forthcoming album "Bedtime Stories", which should be finished in Spring 2006. I'll make it freely available to Everythingians when it's done.

The lyric was a collaboration between my friend Laurence and me, and was inspired by one of the themes I wanted to explore on the album - the relationship between parent and child, at all stages of life. This song is sung by a mother to her son, as she nears the end of her life. For the album, it will be performed by another close friend of mine, Anita.

I agree with different42 regarding the sentiment behind the phrase "Don't cry" - crying is good, it is a physical release for difficult emotions. A good alternative to "Don't cry" if someone is obviously bottling up emotions is to give them a big hug (obviously you have to have a certain level of trust before this is OK!) - if they really need to get those emotions out, they'll cry then.

There is another possible feeling behind "Don't cry", and that's the one I've tried to use in this lyric - it can be used as words of comfort. "Don't cry" can mean "things will be better soon", "I'll always be there for you" and all kinds of other supportive phrases. So much depends on situation and inflection, like so many things in life.

Don't cry

I feel old and tired of trying,
Come and hold me close, stop crying,
And is it nearly time now?
Is it nearly time now?
If it is, please don't let me know.

Let me go, I have to leave now,
On my own, my son, don't grieve now,
You think I don't know that I'm going?
You know, I don't know where I'm going,
And if I did, I wouldn't be so scared.

And my life's been spent travelling alone,
Until you were sent to come and bring me home,
And now I'm complete,
Walking down an old, familiar street...

Now I'm old, and sick of sighing,
I'm so cold, my love, I'm dying,
And is it nearly time now?
Is it really time now?
If it is, don't cry.
Don't cry.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.