Dome, n. [F. dome, It. duomo, fr. L. domus a house, domus Dei or Domini, house of the Lord, house of God; akin to Gr. house, to build, and E. timber. See Timber.]

1.

A building; a house; an edifice; -- used chiefly in poetry.

Approach the dome, the social banquet share. Pope.

2. Arch.

A cupola formed on a large scale.

⇒ "The Italians apply the term il duomo to the principal church of a city, and the Germans call every cathedral church Dom; and it is supposed that the word in its present English sense has crept into use from the circumstance of such buildings being frequently surmounted by a cupola."

Am. Cyc.

3.

Any erection resembling the dome or cupola of a building; as the upper part of a furnace, the vertical steam chamber on the top of a boiler, etc.

4. Crystallog.

A prism formed by planes parallel to a lateral axis which meet above in a horizontal edge, like the roof of a house; also, one of the planes of such a form.

If the plane is parallel to the longer diagonal (macrodiagonal) of the prism, it is called a macrodome; if parallel to the shorter (brachydiagonal), it is a brachydome; if parallel to the inclined diagonal in a monoclinic crystal, it is called a clinodome; if parallel to the orthodiagonal axis, an orthodome.

Dana.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dome, n. [See Doom.]

Decision; judgment; opinion; a court decision.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.