Oy, this is gonna be complicated.

Doink the Clown was a wrestler for the World Wrestling Federation (1992-1996).  The gimmick, originally, was that he was an evil clown that played evil practical jokes on people.  Because he was evil and everything.  Doink was pretty much the epitome of everything wrong with the WWF at the time--it was a pure cartoon character, with zero realism.  It was funny for a while, sure, but why would the fans care about someone who had no depth to them?

Now the complicated part: Four different wrestlers have donned the Doink facepaint and wig and assumed the role.  Matt Bourne, a skilled worker who had wrestled in World Championship Wrestling previously as Big Josh, was the first Doink--he lasted from 1992 through 1994.

Starting at Wrestlemania IX, Steve Keirn (who also was "Skinner" in the WWF) took over for Bourne.  He didn't last long, being replaced by Steve Lombardi (who was also the Brooklyn Brawler) when Doink turned face.

A year later, at Wrestlemania X, Ray Licachelli took over for Lombardi.  Licachelli was, as closely as anyone can figure out, some guy the WWF found on the street and asked to don a clown suit and be Doink for a while.  I'm not kidding.

To further complicate the issue, around Wrestlemania X the WWF decided that the only thing better than Doink would be Doink with midgets!  So, Dink the Clown (portrayed by midget wrestler Tiger Jackson) started appearing with Doink.

Then, I guess just because other superstars were feeling left out, at Survivor Series later that year, LukeDoink, ButchDoink, MoDoink, and MabelDoink (The Bushwhackers and Men on a Mission) got into the picture for a while for no good reason.

Thankfully, most of the silliness ceased after a while.  Doink was mercifully put to rest some time in '96...

...UNTIL 2001, when Doink took part in the "Gimmick Battle Royale" at Wrestlemania 17.  I believe this incarnation was played by Licachelli (Doink IV, for those of you keeping score at home), but I'm not positive about that.

Oh, and Chris Jericho donned the Doink suit in the week leading up to that Wrestlemania to sneak up to William Regal and attack him.

Oh, and Jimmy Garvin was SUPPOSED to be the original Doink all the way back in 1992, but when the deal he was working out with the WWF fell through, he stayed in WCW and Bourne got the nod.

So, in conclusion, everyone on Earth has been Doink for a while.  I myself was Doink for a week back in 1995.

Editors note:

Former wrestler Matt Osborne, best known for playing the twisted Doink the Clown character in the early '90s, died on June 28, 2013 at a local hospital in Plano, Texas. He was 55 years old. No cause of death was given.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.