A wonderfully descriptive term for dog shit. Anyone who has ever observed a dog taking a dump will attest to the fact that they do look remarkably as if they are attempting to lay an egg.

Readers of the British humorous magazine Viz will probably already be aware of this expression, which is where I first saw it. I am pretty sure that's also where I first saw the white variety of dogs' eggs alluded to with something approaching nostalgia, along the lines of, "Whatever happened to white dog shit? I never see it any more."

It's a fair question; I vividly remember, in the dim past, frequently seeing white dog shit in the streets of London. At a certain point it simply stopped appearing, never to be seen again. A revolution in canine fecal fashion? Something to do with implementing new EEC standards? Who knows: but some of us still remember the good old days, when dogs' eggs came in brown and white.

From the Too Much Information department...

Mofaha is right that those white dog faeces have been gone for quite a while -- since the late 80's in fact. Back in the day dog food was made mostly of bone meal that remained after beef was processed at the factory. The bones were ground up into a fine powder, which was mixed with rendered fat, protein, and vitamins, then compressed into happy little dog food pieces. Dogs ate the food, and crapped out relatively normal turds composed mainly of undigestable bone meal. Bilirubin, urobilinogen, and stercobilin are what give faeces its coloration, and they decay in nature much faster than bone meal does. So, when those colorants leached away, all that was left behind was the white calcium "skeleton" of the poo.

At any rate, in the late 80's the cosmetic industry started using up all of the fat content that had gone into dog food in the past, forcing dog food manufacturers to move to vegetable oil as a binding agent. Vegetable oil didn't stick to the bone meal quite as well, so corn meal started to be used for part of the content. Also, good ol' Ronald Reagan passed a bill that allowed hot dogs' bone content to go up from "trace amounts" to a whopping ten percent by weight. This immediately depleted the bone meal supply available to dog food manufacturers, who switched over to solely corn meal filler.

In a sense, the white dog droppings of days gone by are now in your lunchtime frankfurter.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.