The Distributed Proofreaders project is an effort to proofread scanned and OCRed texts for Project Gutenberg. Project Gutenberg was going too slowly, so the Distributed Proofreaders people decided to enlist the help of the masses, without requiring a large commitment. You can go to the DP site, log in, and proofread as many or as few pages as you like.

After being featured on Slashdot the project has really taken off, completing more pages in a single day than they had in most months. The help has died down somewhat (at the time of this writing, it has gone down to half of the Slashdot-induced high) but they are still doing horrendously well in comparison to their previous pace.

And finally, I make my request to you: if you want to see public domain books be available to anyone via the internet, for free, then please go to this site and support it, even if you only end up proofreading a single page. Every page helps, and a small casual contribution is still a contribution.

The Address is:

http://www.pgdp.net/

If you decide to make this a regular part of your life (or even if you don't), you can join a team. There are teams for lots of things, and the teams are not mutually exclusive. For example, you could, if you so desired, join "Everything2.com" (team id 25) and "Libertarians", and there would be no conflict.

One last note, which I sincerely hope you will read before you rush off to proofread: there are document guidelines. They are probably even more important than Everything University. Read them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.