Superstar Limo was an abysmal failure of a dark ride found in the Hollywood Land in Disney's California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. It opened on February 8, 2001 with the park itself and closed eleven months later.

The original plot of the ride sounds promising: upon entering the ride, a recording of then-Disney Chairman and CEO Michael Eisner would've told guests that they need to go to a premiere in Grauman's Chinese Theater to sign a film contract. Unfortunately, the city is crawling with paparazzi who are out to ruin your reputation. The ride itself would've been a high speed, dark room-roller coaster hybrid taking you through Hollywood as you avoid paparazzi, and it would've ended with Eisner cancelling your contract as you were caught on camera doing something bad. Then guests would get a picture taken that would be superimposed onto a funny tabloid.

Then in August of 1997, Diana, Princess of Wales, was killed in a limo accident while her driver was supposedly fleeing from paparazzi.
That, of course, was a nightmare for Disney. When Eisner realized that the ride couldn't be released as planned, Disney scrapped significant chunks of the ride, eliminated the entire paparazzi plot, and transformed it into a Small World-like slow ride where riders would stroll through a fake Hollywood and see cheap celebrity figures that didn't even use Audio-Animatronics.

It was boring. Guests hated it. Here's the cast of the Drew Carey Show taking a ride on it and visibly wishing for death.

The ride closed in January of 2002, and in 2006, another ride based on Monsters, Inc. opened in its place and is still open as of this writing.

299

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.