Digger was a video game designed by Windmill System to run on IBM PC compatibles using Intel 8088 8Mhz machine on CGA 4-color displays back in 1983. It used to run tolerably fast on IBM PC-AT with 80286 16Mhz chips. However, by the time 80386 PC comes about Digger no longer runs at a playable speed.

Now, it has been lovingly reversed-engineered by Andrew Jenner to run on modern Pentium machines, and in Windows 9x. You can get the software for free at http://www.digger.org/. This is a recommended retro game.

The name the ANZACs gave themselves. The origin of the term is unknown but it is believed to either be from the many soldiers that had worked the goldfields of Ballarat and Bendigo. It might also be because of the trenches the soldiers had to dig.

It's now used as the term to call WW1 and WW2 veterans and sometimes still used as a term of affection for people you consider your mate.

n. a face plant. "Look at that guy on that gnarly singletrack...he's going to go over the bars and do a digger."

From the Dictionary of Mountain Bike Slang

Dig"ger (?), n.

One who, or that which, digs.

Digger wasp Zool., any one of the fossorial Hymenoptera.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.