Widely availible in Germany and many other countries, Diebels Alt is a dark, full-bodied, bier. The beer is called "altbier" because it uses the old-fashioned methods of fermenting, known as top-fermentation, which means that the yeast used in the process is deposited on top of the beer.

Information provided by the company website:

"In 1878, Josef Diebels fulfilled his ambitions when, at the age of 32, he founded an export brewery in Issum in the Lower Rhine Valley. DIEBELS is still privately owned, and is now run by the fourth generation of the family. The foundations of DIEBELS' success were laid in the early 1970s. At this point, DIEBELS was a respected regional brewery which produced nearly all sorts of popular German beer. Then the company's management decided to change its strategic direction. Since then, it has only produced Altbier - a top fermented, dark beer. This was the key to DIEBELS' extraordinary success, and DIEBELS developed into an internationally recognised premium brand which is now sold successfully in 28 countries on four continents. The little local brewery became DIEBELS GmbH & Co. KG, the market leader for Altbier."

Diebels is good for those who enjoy beers with a rich flavor and texture, like Guinness or Sam Adams although it doesn't taste like a pine tree or a collection of berries as the aforementioned beers respectively do.

Not that one shouldn't want to enjoy a good pine tree or berry bush on some occasions.

Diebels is also marketing a bottled version of diesel (Dimix), a popular drink in Germany which consists of beer and cola mixed.


the German Beer metanode

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.