The archetypal slimy salesman. Always ready to overcharge you for an antique egg or religious icon. There is a Dibbler everywhere, but the most famous is Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler in Ankh-Morpork, who sells sausages. Inna bun.

And now, for your amusement and information: The Canonical List of Dibblers! (The name in parenthesis indicates their first apperance).

Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler of Ankh-Morpork (Guards! Guards!), AKA Grand Master Lobsang Dibbler, Hubwards martial arts master with "an address in Ankh-Morpork" (Witches Abroad)
Solstice (Soll) Dibbler of Ankh-Morpork, yuppie nephew of Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler (Moving Pictures)
Cut-Me-Own-Hand-Off Dblah of Omnia (Small Gods)
Disembowel-Myself-Honorably-Dibhala of The Agatean Empire (Interesting Times)
Al-jiblah of Klatch (Jingo)
Fair Go Dibbler of XXXX (The Last Continent)

Other Dibblers mentioned in The Last Continent:

May-I-Never-Achieve-Enlightenment Dhiblang
Dib Diblossonson (probably from Nothingfjord or something)
May-I-Be-Kicked-In-My-Own-Icehole Dibooki
Swallow-Me-Own-Blowdart Dlang-Dlang (Howandalandish, by the sound of it)

If I missed any, /msg me and tell me about it.
Dibblers are also a species of broad footed marsupial mouse: Parantechinus apicalis. While not true mice, dibblers are similarly small and pointy-nosed, and also have a similar lifespan (two to three years). They live in dense grasslands and are mostly carnivorous, though they occasionally feed on nectar. Like many marsupials, they are nocturnal. They are distinguished from other marsupial mice by their spotted coats, which are brown with grey speckles.

Dibblers are very rare. Perhaps calling them endangered is an understatement: in 1884, they were declared extinct! Not a hint of them was seen again until 1967. Forty thousand nights have been logged trying to get an accurate feel for their numbers. A measly forty five dibblers have turned up.

Source:
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/animals1/dasyur/dibbler.html

Dib"bler (?), n.

One who, or that which, dibbles, or makes holes in the ground for seed.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.