In the technology world, a developer is someone who creates new products -- software, hardware, etc.

In the rest of the world, a developer is someone who buys forests, swamps, and other land which they think of as "unused" by virtue of the fact that no roads have yet been paved across it. They turn wilderness into suburbia and are despised as a group by environmentalists, no matter how many or how few concessions they make in planning a new subdivision.

To be fair, the difference between a developer and and environmentalist is that a developer is a person who wishes to build houses out in the woods, whereas an environmentalist is someone who already has a house out in the woods.

De*vel"op*er (?), n.

1.

One who, or that which, develops.

2. (Photog.)

A reagent by the action of which the latent image upon a photographic plate, after exposure in the camera, or otherwise, is developed and visible.

 

© Webster 1913


De*vel"op*er, n.

One that develops; specif.:

(a) (Photog.)

A chemical bath or reagent used in developing photographs.

(b) (Dyeing)

A reagent used to produce an ingrain color by its action upon some substance on the fiber.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.