compiled overview of the 55ton Dervish 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



Long the plodding workhorse of Successor States' ground forces, the DV-6M Dervish has become the focus of a great deal of attention as it is the last 'Mech designed to serve the Star League in large numbers. Its role on the battlefield is as a poor man's Archer. Its LRM-10s and SRM-2s allows it to provide quick fire-support where needed, freeing larger 'Mechs for other duties. The Dervish's jump jets make up in mobility for what the 'Mech lacks in armor.

Commissioned in the last days of the Star League, the Dervish received only one major change over the years, the replacement of the 270 GM engine with the present-day 275 Core Tek to boost its maneuverability. Most Dervishes were made before the dissolution of the Star League and so have served in all corners of the universe.

The most recent version of the Dervish, the DV-7D, contains several noteworthy features of earlier Dervish models, as well as a few innovations. The DV-7D continues to utilize the embedded torso-mount configuration for its twin Federated 10-Shot LRM racks, an arrangement that provides the racks with excellent protection from enemy fire. Another Dervish design trademark, hand-mounted SRM racks, is continued with the DV-7D's new twin Federated SuperStreak Dual-SRM launchers; the hand-mount arrangement enables a Dervish pilot to aim the 'Mech's SRM racks without turning the machine's torso.

The DV-7D's Dorwinion Standard 55TES endo-steel internal structure, StarGuard CIV ferro-fibrous armor, and Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment represent the most notable innovations incorporated in the updated Dervish. The DV-7D's new endo steel skeleton provides the 'Mech with structural strength superior to that of earlier Dervishes, and the new ferro-fibrous armor provides a noticeable improvement over the mediocre armor protection of earlier versions.

Though the Dervish is primarily a fire-support 'Mech, it can hold its own in a physical fight against lighter 'Mechs. Though much maligned as a dull fighting vehicle, the Dervish does possess several noteworthy features. The two sets of LRM-10s are deeply embedded in the 'Mech's torso (rather than exposed as on the Archer or Crusader), which ensures good protection for the missile systems and controls. The Dervish can carry twelve rounds for each LRM missile system, which is adequate for all but the most protracted battles.

The small SRM-2s are completely self-contained, along with their fifty rounds of ammunition, within the 'Mech's paddle-like hands. This placement allows the SRM to be aimed quickly without having to move the entire 'Mech. In the event that the pilot does run out of ammo for his missiles, the Dervish's two medium lasers ensure that he will always have something to fight with.

The jump jets, originally an afterthought, have also proved their worth time after time, giving the Dervish the mobility to exploit the surrounding terrain and the capability of closing quickly with an opponent. The jump jets also allow the Dervish pilot to jump out of tight situations.

The Dervish's major drawback is its light armor. It is well-armored enough to handle the attacks of small to medium weapons, but cannot cope with the increasingly lethal weapons found on today's battlefield. There have been many attempts to upgrade the armor, but they have all compromised the 'Mech's simple design.

No other event in the distinguished history of the Dervish can compare with the Whirling Dervishes' defense of New Rhodes in 2796.

An unremarkable world, New Rhodes held little strategic importance in its own right. However, the world lay directly in the path of a major Kuritan drive toward the Davion capital of New Avalon. As the Draconis Combine forces approached the planet, the officers of the defending Seventeenth Avalon Hussars decided to send most of the planet's troops to the defense of New Avalon, leaving only a small guerrilla force led by Captain Conrad Warrent's Whirling Dervishes to defend New Rhodes.

Taking to the thick forests surrounding the planet's capital city, the Whirling Dervishes concealed themselves and waited as elements of Kurita's Second Sword of Light dropped onto New Rhodes and proceeded to destroy the undefended city. Three days later, Warrent and his fighters slipped into the large river bordering the city's airport, intent on raiding a Kuritan ammunition dump along the city's edge. Unfortunately, Warrent's 'Mech emerged from the river only a few hundred yards from a Kuritan military parade. Realizing his own plans were now upset, Warrent quickly explained to his unit the odds of achieving its original goal and gave each member the chance to retreat. In reply, his men simply punched their jump buttons, setting the river water churning violently. Breaking clear of the river, the Whirling Dervishes charged in among the piles of supplies.

The Dervishes went wild. Firing salvo after salvo, they aimed at piles of ammunition, choosing to ignore the approaching enemy for the moment. As one ammunition pile after another blew sky-high, the population scattered and cheered. Again and again, a Dervish would emerge from the flames, fire a salvo of missiles at an enemy 'Mech, then disappear back into the smoke and heat. It took Lord Kurita's force ten hours to track down and kill the four Dervishes and two Enforcers.

This valiant attack cost the Sword of Light more than a thousand tons of ammunition and thousands of spare parts. But more important, the valiant action boosted morale on New Rhodes and on New Avalon, where tapes of the battle were smuggled in and broadcast.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

Der"vish (?), Der"vise (?), Der"vis (?), n. [Per. derwEsch, fr. OPer. derew to beg, ask alms: cf. F. derviche.]

A Turkish or Persian monk, especially one who professes extreme poverty and leads an austere life.

 

© Webster 1913


Der"vish, n.

One of the fanatical followers of the Mahdi, in the Sudan.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.